AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it this new generation of receivers flat or what? I have a 9 year old Yamaha RXV670 and it is only 70 Watts. I bought the new Sony 5ES on recommendations. Ya, the movie effects are great, but compared to my 9 year old 670 it is flat when doing stereo music. What do I mean, the 670 has more dynamic range and picks up much more music (all the subtle background and vocal variations that the ES ignores). If I listen real hard I can hear some of the subtleties on the ES, but it is like I have pillows on my ears. As for the dynamic range, sometimes I need to turn down the 670 the range is so great - just the opposite for the 5ES. I do all my comparison with straight analog 2 channel - no DSP. The 670 has dolby pro logic and I seek 6.1 dolby digital. But it gets better. I just bought the new Yamaha RXV2200, auditioned it in analog and returned it within 3 hours because it was at least as flat. Back at the store, I then auditioned some Dennons, RXV3000, and kept comparing them against the ES5. The ES5 had the edge on all of them. The Dennon (can't remember the model #) was more muffled, the 3000 maybe not as good in the highs. Remember all listening is done in straight analog stereo.

Help!!! Somebody must be going through this. My wife and son agree with me that the old 670 picks up more music and has better dynamics. We can't all be nuts. What is out there that can do it all?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Try Marantz or H/K. I think either of these marques is more musical than anything you've yet tried. Marantz has several 6.1 models with onboard amplification while with H/K you will need to add an amp for anything more than 5.1 but can have 7.1 if you wish.

Welcome to life in the multi-channel lane. I agree things just aren't the same.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry, I posted a message about DSP modes, then reread teh original and found that you don't use any. I'm quite surprised that you find the Yamaha so superior to the new crop of receivers. I'm wondering if there isn't a DSP effect kicking in by default on the Yamaha.

Krishna

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.