AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it done that custom resolutions defined with Powerstrip are loaded at Windows startup (without starting Powerstrip)??? This works on my first setup, but on my second startup it is necessary to start Powerstrip every time. I don't want this to do, all I need is to have my custom 60Hz setting loaded.

-sam

· Registered
809 Posts
There is a setting in PS to have it load at start up. Go to the options and select it.

· Registered
125 Posts
On startup of PS, however, how do you get it to load your custom resolution automatically. Mine always starts at 800x400, and then I have to change the resolution?

Thanks,

· Registered
360 Posts
I only ever run powerstrip to set the custom resolution in my display settings and then powerstrip does not need to be loaded. It just adds the custom resolution. There is an option to startup with windows if you made any custom timeing changes or others.

· Registered
6,653 Posts
options>>>preferences>>>"auto-load with Windows" and "apply settings at start up".

It should start with the resolution you used on shutdown/restart and will apply your timings to that rez.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the startup options of Powerstrip. However, I think it is possible that Powerstrip somehow adds a custom resolution setting to the windows registry (or similarly) and that you don't have to have Powerstrip loaded ever again (as kelmk stated)!

In my second system I have installed Powerstrip as an Administrator and when I login as a normal user, I don't have the rights to start Powerstrip; nevertheless my custom resolutions are loaded.

BTW: The "Auto-Load with Windows" option doesn't work. But as I don't want to have it loaded anyway I don't care...

· Registered
125 Posts
If I "Don't" apply the "auto-load with windows", the resolution will start-up with the last resolution setting I turned the computer off with. However, I switch back and forth between my LCD screen and my TV monitor. Thus, when I load PS, the resolution starts at 800x600, and then I have to change the resolution setting to what I want.

If I "Do" apply the "auto-load with windows", the resolution starts out at 800x600. I don't see the option of "apply settings at start up" as Karnis suggested. The closest that I see is a "restore settings on start-up".

I have PS version 3.45 off of Entech's website. Cnet has version 3.3. I have no clue of what the difference is.

Thanks,

Mike

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"restore settings on start-up" is probably what Karnis meant. I don't have any other option, either.

I agree that Windows restores the last resolution at startup, however it is just the pure resolution and nothing more (for example scan / dot frequencies). My projector has a native resolution of 856x480 (actually 484) @ 60 Hz, without PS this resolution is displayed at 68 Hz, which doesn't work for the projector.

Again: In my other system I don't have to start PS to get my custom resolution. I'm wondering if this is a matter of whether you first install Powerstrip or your graphic drivers. Perhaps, when you update graphics drivers, the drivers "learn" your custom settings defined with PS...???

· Registered
6,653 Posts
You can use Powerstrip to create a custom resolution, and then uninstall Powerstrip. However, if you want custom timings applied to a particular rez (custom or not), then Powerstrip must be running.

When you change video card drivers though, your custom resolutions are wiped out.

· Registered
125 Posts
To run my HTPC on my GWII, I of course need the custom timings (in my case 1368x768 for the GWII, and 1280x1024 for my LCD). If I don't auto start PS, my computer will start-up in either one of these resolutions depending upon which one I last turned the computer off with.

Whether I autostart PS isn't an issue. What is an issue, however, is that when I do start PS to change the resolution, it seems to default to 800x600 resolution, regardless of what resolution I was previously running. What I'm trying to do is, when I do start PS, have it load one of these custom resolutions that I have saved.

Enabling the "restore settings on start-up", in either the "preference" menu or the "quick set up" option in the preference menu did not seem allow me to do this.

Thanks,

Mike

· Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm just guessing at this point, but it might be that your display default is set to 800X600. Try going into options>preferences>Quick setup and clicking on 'rescan'... this should change your display default to whatever your current resolution and timings are.

Good Luck, I hope this works for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.