AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting 5.1 audio with my new HTPC. I only seem to be getting stereo.

HTPC Setup:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard

Saphire HD4650 video card

I have an HDMI running from the video card to my Onkyo SR607 receiver. And another HDMI running from the receiver to the TV.

I watch mostly MKV files using VLC player within Windows 7. But I'm only getting stereo from my 5.1 speakers.

I'm fairly knowledgeable with PC's as I've built many in the past. I've perused the basic PC & audio settings, etc. But I am far from an HTPC audio expert so most likely I've done something wrong. Am I missing other config changes, preferences, etc? What are the most important things to check?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Preferences > Audio > Check use S/PDIF when available maybe?

I don't use VLC, but that would be the first thing I'd try.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Seeing as you want HDMI audio the optical SPDIF output and its driver are moot. You don't need to have the RealTek driver loded at all! Just assure you have the CCC loaded with the display driver and the ATi HDMI Audio driver. Then, go into that setup and establish it as your default and CONFIGURE it to pass DD, DTS and WMA, reboot. Now you're set as long as VLC is using the SPDIF out (which is now set to ATi HDMI Audio). I've had BAD experiences with VLC, have you tried using MPC-HC instead? Oh, and I use SPDIFer (by AC3Filter) as my audio codec to PASSTHROUGH both DD & DTS from within MediaPortal because I've collected fome .mkv files that aren't exactly formed right and SPDIFer does the trick!

There's an entire thread on this mobo ... you should read up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.