AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a kdl-60r550a that I bought in November, bought a yamaha rx-v373 receiver in january.

Everything seemed to work fine up until March 3rd when my wife claimed the tv was working fine and then 5 minutes later when they tried to use it they couldn't turn it on. Her story is a little confussing because later (after I unplugged the tv to reset it) she said they couldn't use the tv because the screen was purple.

Now for the life of me I can't get arc to work properly. I believe I have all the right setting in the receiver and tv (and this all worked before). I turn on the tv and the receiver automatically turns on (so arc must be correctly setup). When I run my blu ray or tivo I can hear sound through the receiver but when I try netflix on the tv (which should send the audio back through the hdmi cable to the receiver) I don't hear anything.

The only thing I can figure is maybe the latest firmware broke something? I had automatic firmware updates turned on, I can see I have firmware 510 but I am not sure when the tv installed the firmware (is this information anywhere). Can I reflash with the same firmware or downgrade? Anyone else having the same issue, if so then I might wait for newer firmware to come out.

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
ARC/CEC can be a real pain because of the non-standardized way it can be implemented by mfrs. I never trust automatic updates to always go correctly. I'd rather pick and choose what I update. It does sound like an update messed with ARC functionality. If it were me, I'd disable ARC altogether and just use an optical cable. The only real advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the use of an optical cable. Audio playback is limited to 5.1 like optical. I'd also look into a programmable universal remote like a Harmony. Literally one click for what ever you want to do automatically selects the correct inputs for your tv and receiver. I have the RX-V371 receiver and the optical/Harmony combination works like a dream.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts