AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is the deal,

I have a PC hooked up to a receiver and TV for watching movies in true 5.1.

Acer M3300 Windows 7 64 bit

Pioneer Receiver VSX-920-K

Video (HDMI out from computer and into receiver)

Audio (Star Tech external sound card) (USB in, Optical out to Receiver)

Just yesterday I was playing some files using windows media player that would properly use either DTS or DD depending on what the file used.  Today those same files will only output to stereo sound.  I must have done something wrong.

I have done the test in the properties menu of the sound and playback program and it puts out both DTS and DD when I test it.  I also downloaded a test from Dolby's site that puts out DD as well.  I know that it is true surround because my receiver will change to DD or DTS when it gets the proper signal when I use those programs.  The problem is that the exact same movies I was playing yesterday worked and are no longer work today.  I can not figure out why they only play 2.1

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
What brand/model receiver?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I should have mentioned that I tried vlc yesterday and it didn't work when wmp would. The tried gom player, mpchc, and Smplayer with no luck either.

Based on what you said could downloading one of those new players introduced something new like an audio decoder that would interfere with wmp now. Ideally I would like to use SMplayer and have 5.1 but none of them work now including wmp. Any suggestions? I wouldn't know where to delete these.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.