AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cant figure it out. I am using these crimp on RG6 f connectors from Radio shack and having a hell of a time getting them on the Belden 1695A cable. Is there something I am missing?

After stripping, when I bend the braid back on the outer insulation, it is too thick for the f connector to slide on. I have made hundreds of RCA connections with these Parts Express RCA connectors, but am not having much luck with the f connectors.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

E. J.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
The RCA connections that you posted a link to are for quad-shielded cable. The f connectors do not appear to be. You probably need to use f connectors that are for quad-shielded cable.

CJ

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CJ. Actually those RCA connectors are for both RG6 and RG6QS. I know there are lots of people here using those RCA connectors with the 1694A/1695A Belden cable (which is not a QS cable). So it would stand to reason that those same people are using F-connectors with that same cable. So, do I need to use QS f connectors with 1694A/1695A because the braid is so thick (but not doubled like with QS), or am I missing something with the RG6 connectors?

Thanks much,

E. J.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I assume that the Belden cable, though not quad shielded, is thicker than the normal RG6. That could be why the RCA connectors (made to fit quad shielded) fit and the F connectors don't. Without the braid doubled over, do the f connectors and RCA connectors fit the same over the jacket? If the f connectors are tighter, you probably will have to use QS connectors.

CJ

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea. Thanks for the tip. I will check tonight.

E. J.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I but the contractor-sized 25 pack. Ideal brand, if I'm not mistaken.

The shield should be trimmed even with the outer sheath, not folded back ofer it. Plus, any stray shield strands (say that quickly three times!) should not stick out from the plug; they can cause wierd RF radiations.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnla
Look again, as it's $1 for 2 of them. But yes, Home Depot is still a bit less.
lets see, 2.19 for 2. sure, your math works....

Phil

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by philba
lets see, 2.19 for 2. sure, your math works....

Phil
LOL, yeah I just looked back at the price. :rolleyes:

For some reason when he said $1, I thought he meant for a pack, and I knew they came two to a pack.......

So we were both wrong, as it's $1.09 and 5/10 for one......;)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the help. QS F connectors work great on the 1695A.

E. J.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I hate it when people are picky but I said more than a buck so I ain't agreeing that I was wrong. but then, I've been wrong plenty of other times, just making up for lost time...

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by philba
I hate it when people are picky but I said more than a buck so I ain't agreeing that I was wrong. but then, I've been wrong plenty of other times, just making up for lost time...
No, you were right, and I was wrong.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Everything I say is a lie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.