AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation: Only available HDTV is via HBO 509; receive Directv from dual LNB oval dish on roof for new Toshiba 40H80 HDTV with Toshiba DST 3000 receiver. Receive OTA via rooftop antenna. Current update: Installer put oval dish on same mount that round dish had sucessfully performed for over one year. We get a strong 92-94 signal on the satellite at 101 degrees. All channels are fine. The receiver is only working on round dish mode, though. When we got to the installer program ande input "oval dish 2" the Toshiba can't auto configure it and defaults back to round dish. Installer thinks that multiplexer in house is precluding getting satellite B, i.e. the one at 119 degrees. Does this make sense? I'd have thought that the disk needs better aiming. If we're getting a strong enough signal with the existing wires to register 92-94 signal stength, it'd seem that the wiring is not a problem. Any suggestions? Incidentally, we pulled TIVO out of the equation. Once we get the HDTV resolved, won't Tivo still work for all the other satellite channels and OTA? Thanks.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The oval dish should work on the round dish mount EXCEPT to point of aim is farther west to split the difference between 101 and 119. Here in Texas my azimuth went from 180 to 202. Also you've got the tilt setting on the oval dish. ALSO, the oval is doing three dimensional geometry to see two locations at the same time so any error in getting the mount plumb to the earth really screws it up. You've got to be much pickier with the oval installation. If you were able to get all the 101 channels then the multiplexor should pass the DC and 22khz signals necessary to do all the switching of the oval's four LNBs.

Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.