AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded a harddrive in a showstopper. Then I had it dial out to get the listings and software upgrades. It did it sucessfully.


But then I went to the 243 menu and tried to dial out to verify it got all the updates and it wouldn't connect saying 'no dial tone'. I tricked it to dialing by picking up the phone so there was a dial tone and hanging up after it started dialing. But it still wouldn't connect. I haven't gotten it to connect since(all of today). Does anyone know what could be wrong? It crossed my mind that it was possible that the new replaytv company cut the service an hour after I got the first connection and updates, but I dont really believe that; The coincidence would be sharp.


If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.


icecow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
are the touch tones it's generating all funky sounding?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tones sound fine.


This totally bewilders me. Before the upgrade unit dialed out fine. Now the original drive is back in place and everything is the same except the dial out problem. If I pick up the phone I hear a dial tone then it will dial out. After that I've tried all kinds of permutations to get a connection: after I hear it dial and let it start to ring then hang up, let it do the same and not hang up as it squelches and tries to connect, etc. I just dont get it.


icecow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
I would try taking it to a pals house to have it dial out as a test. I've had a modem that wouldn't work right because the line was crappy, and since the test would be so easy to do, it's worth a try. Also try a different phone cord.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
The older showstopper modem fix from SB:


I would have him try the unreliable modem connection resolution:

>

>

> First, you will need to download the current software and telephone access

> list. To have your unit reset the local number list and download the modem

> speed update:

>

> 1) Go into Menu / Setup / Change Dialing and Input settings

> 2) Select: Telephone Setup

> 3) Press "Continue" until you reach the Zip Code screen.

> 4) Press "Stop" to clear out the Zip Code

> 5) Press the left arrow to go to the screen with your area code and first

> 3 digits of your phone number.

> 6) Press "Stop" to clear out your phone information.

> 7) Re-enter your phone information and press continue

> 8) Re-enter your Zip Code and continue through the menus

> 9) The unit will re-dial our server and update your list of local

> numbers.

> 10) When this completes press select to confirm the each of the current

> settings presented.

> 11) When complete, unit will return to the Setup Summary screen.

>

> ===================================================

>

> To set the modem speed after the above is complete:

>

> 1. Press Menu on the remote

> 2. Select "Setup"

> 3. Select "Change Dialing and Input Settings"

> 4. Select "Change Telephone" in the Setup Summary page

> 5. Input Phone number and press "Select" on the remote

> 6. Input Zip Code and press "Select" on the remote

> 7. Input a prefix if needed and then press the "Replay Zones" button on

> the remote

> 8. This should bring you to the "Modem Settings" page

> -Wait for dial tone

> -Dial Using

> -Max Connect Speed

> Select "Done"

> 9. Press Select and the connection should work more reliably.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
icecow, The combo unit 2.0 has always had connection troubles. Common tricks are: reboot and force connection, take phone off the hook while dialing and inputting the secret 1800 number into the prefix screen.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top