AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have tried everything but can't get the optical cable to play 5.1 into my receiver. I have a nForce 680i MB and I have dowloaded the sound drivers (wdm_R154) and plugged my optical cable from the MB into the digital input on my receiver. I go into the "realtek" setup and select 6 channel then test it and only the 2 front speakers work. (the receiver is showing digital auto, and linear pcm) I even tried selecting the dolby digital, and DTS options to no avail. I have also downloaded the acfilter software and selected 5.1 as the output and dts as the spdif passthrough....

Just to make sure my receiver wasn't the problem, I removed the optical cable and pluged in my optical cable from my xbox 360 and it picked up all the channels right away. I also ran the test tone and it is sounding at all stages.

On my receiver, should I then see all "speaker" icons recognized? Currently when I actually play a game, the subwoofer, and all the channels DO actually make sound but the "speaker icons" on my receiver only show the front two as "active".......

Any ideas? I am at a complete loss at this stage.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
You will only get a 5.1 signal if your source is digital...meaning a movie file, etc that has AC3 or what not. Even then, you won't get 5.1 unless your sound card is set to SPDIF passthrough. The remainder of the time, you will get a stereo signal that your receiver will try to upmix. Hence, your receiver will bounce back and forth from digital to stereo as you change what you play on the computer, most likely.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You need a sound card with Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect feature, these features are called encoding feature, you need to encode the surround sound into DD/DTS signal to get a surround sound through optical. XBox360 and DVDs already have an encoded digital output. Without encoding, the optical output can only deliver a stereo sound.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA2K6 /forum/post/0

Hello all,

I have tried everything but can't get the optical cable to play 5.1 into my receiver. I have a nForce 680i MB and I have dowloaded the sound drivers (wdm_R154) and plugged my optical cable from the MB into the digital input on my receiver. I go into the "realtek" setup and select 6 channel then test it and only the 2 front speakers work.

First off DON'T set it to 6 channel, the whole 2,4,5,6 channel settings for for Analog out.

Keep the channel stetting left at 2 channel (IE PCM)

Then there should be a setting in there to enable SPDIF output.

Once that is done, you'll go into your Playback software. Such as Media player, or Zoom Player or Theatertek, PowerDVD, or WinDVD.

Basically whatever program your using for DVD playback.

Go into the options menu of said playback software and enable SPDIF output in the playback software.

Once this is done you should be able to get DD/DTS audio out from the PC.

And as already said, you will ONLY get surround sound out from things that have digital encoded surround sound audio.

IE DVD's, if your trying to play back an AVI, or Divx file or something that doesn't have a digitally encoded audio stream, meaning they 5.1 surround sound audio stream isn't in DD or DTS you will only get 2 channel audio to come out.

Same goes for video games, video games aren't encoded with DD or DTS but they are surround sound, but not in a format your receiver understands, so you won't get 5.1 audio from video games to pass through the spdif into the receiver.

- Josh

·
Registered
204 Posts
Get a sound card with Oxygen HD chip(X-Meridian, b-Enspirer, Sondigo Inferno, Theatron DTS and Razer Barracuda). The Oxygen HD chip is a newer chip and it has more feature than the X-Plosion. The chip on the X-Plosion card has some stability issues with some systems.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Note there is some compatibility issues with some video games with both the X-Plosion and X-Meridian cards.

Not all games, just some.

- Josh

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't think that it is a compatibility issues, the games that have problems are hardware based EAX games like Doom3, these games require a native hardware based EAX sound card to get a surround sound, this is exactly why Creative are working hard to get OpenAL+hardware based EAX to work in Vista, other sound cards without hardware based EAX will not get a surround sound from these games even in WinXP.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg7_munif /forum/post/0

I don't think that it is a compatibility issues, the games that have problems are hardware based EAX games like Doom3, these games require a native hardware based EAX sound card to get a surround sound, this is exactly why Creative are working hard to get OpenAL+hardware based EAX to work in Vista, other sound cards without hardware based EAX will not get a surround sound from these games even in WinXP.

I dunno about you but that sure sounds like a compatibility issue to me. How about everyone else?

- Josh

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi664 /forum/post/0

Why are you guys talking about digital encoding? He's talking about SPDIF Passthrough, and umdivx got it right. Stop sidetracking here...

Well if you want to get 5.1 surround sound from video games, WMV-HD, Divx HD, or any other surround sound audio that is not encoded into DD or DTS and only want to send one cable from the PC to your receiver you DO need a hardware encoding sound card.

Which is what the OP said he's doing.

I was just stating that there have been reports that with some video games and other surround sound audio files that the hardware encoding doesn't all ways work as planned, IE a compatibility issue, and numb nutz up above is arguing semantics on what IS and ISN'T a considered a compatibility issue.

IF it doesn't work with a video game due to the type of EAX audio it uses, I'd consider that a compatibility issue.

Either way, getting a sound card that has hardware encoding for DD and DTS is and easy way to ensure that all surround sound audio will be sent via SPDIF to your reciver for decoding.

- Josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.