Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Please help! Just bought a Radeon VE 64mb DDR retail box, put it in the AGP slot and I got a blank screen, nothing appeared, apart from the sound of cpu fan working. The day before I reformatted my hard disk in the hope to do a clean install Windows 98se with the Radeon. When it came, I removed my old Riva TNT 16mb and put the Radeon in. Turn the pc on, nothing appeared on the screen! not even the bios startup. Only the cpu fan was working, I couldn't turn it off with the front switch so had to do it at the back. I put the Riva TNT back on and it booted up normally with a startup disk. Swap the two cards several times , still can't get the Radeon to display

anything but blank screen! I went into bios setup, with the Riva TNT, and make sure that video card

is set to AGP and at 2X (4X didn't make any difference). IRQ assigned to PCI vga was also enabled.

I run out of idea. Any help please?

Regards

Piya

Athlon 1 GHz

ECS K7s5a mobo

256 Mb DDR PC2100

IBM 40 Gb 7200rpm

Radeon 64 mb DDR (not yet to work)

SB Live Value

300w power supply

Windows 98se

·
Registered
111 Posts
This sounds like what happened to me this weekend.

I installed a new sound card and had to pull the video card (Radeon VE) and a tuner card out to disconnect cables from the cd/dvd drives to the motherboard. After reinstalling everything (at about 1:00am Sat night/Sun morn) when I rebooted....nothing...except fan noise and that was about it. I thought I might have ruined something by maybe static charge or who knows what. I resolved that I was just going to bring the computer into the local repair shop and get them to set my repair as a priority, assuming that I would have to pay a premium fee. So last night, I thought I'd just go back through the same sequence and check all connections. I came to the video card and pushed. The back end sat in a little farther, but oh so slight. I thought to myself that that wasn't enough to make a difference. In a ho-hum...I'lljust turn this on one more time...kind of attitude, voila...everything booted up as normal!! So as nuthead has suggested, it probably is the seating of the card. Good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jriver:

I followed your advice but still no boot.

nuthead and LenVP:

I had to bend the Radeon bracket slightly so that it seems to seat a bit deeper in the agp slot, but still no boot.

Then I got replies from OCWorkbench BBS that I should try clearing CMOS. As you may know the ECS k75sa is famous for its cold boot problems. After I cleared the CMOS, it POSTed! However, I still have a problem of setting the CPU FSB speed to higher than 100MHz. If I set it to 133Mhz it refused to boot. I had to clear CMOS again to get it POST. I think I'll have to live with my downgraded Athlon(@750MHz) until someone can come up with the solution.

Thanks all for your replies.

Regards

Piya

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.