AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a onkyo HT 550 receiver and a HLT 6176s DLP tv I have a samsung cable box hooked to tv hdmi, panny bd 55 blu ray hooked hdmi and a ps3 hooked hdmi to tv, the ps3 and bluray have dig optical to reciever and the cable box has a digital coax to reciever. the blu ray also has a analog 7.1 hook up to reciever.

I wanted to be able to output sound from the tv to the reciever but I can't seem to do that if I just have everything to tv and tv to reciever and nothing else to reciever I don't get sound out of the reciever? any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You hookup confuses me. I assume first off, that your receiver does not have HDMI?

If your receiver does not have HDMI, the usual method is to run optical from your devices to your receiver. This works best. In this case, you won't get any sound from your TV. You switch all your devices through your receiver.

I suspect you want TV sound, but that's just not practical. For one thing, sending something like Dolby Digital to a TV than back to a receiver does not usually work. What happens is that the TV decodes Dolby Digital, and then outputs PCM.

·
Registered
50 Posts
HDMI has copy protection. According to my TV manual any audio that comes in on HDMI is only "passed out" on the Digital Audio Out jack as stereo maybe yours blocks audio that comes in as HDMI completely. I would check the TV manual.

In my setup all units with HDMI are run to the directly to the receiver which send the signal on to the TV no audio from the TV but it comes from the receiver. I watch network HD programming over the air also I do not use a cable box so I ran the Digital Audio Out from the TV to receiver. The TV outputs the digital audio from TV programming to the receiver.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
What are you using to connect audio output from your TV to the AVR? If your TV does not have a digital or analog out connected it won't work. Also, you TV will only output 2-channel. Your best bet is an HDMI AVR so you can connect everything to the AVR and pass video to the TV from the AVR.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the problems i am haveing is that my Cable box is set to HDMI out so I can hear it though ny tv but if I play a music channel and want to listen to it though my AVR it sounds muffled, if I switch the output to digital in the box it sounds great but then I can't hear it though my tv Late night and what not I don't want to have to keep switching it back and forth. My AVR is HDMI pass though only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts