AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Pioneer VSX84txsi which specifies 7.1 channel at 140 watts per channel. I've recently modified my speaker setup to install in-ceiling speakers for the center and rear-channels. I'm running it as 5.1 with the sub-woofer. I ran the auto MCACC to balance the speakers and all speakers are working in this mode and reproduce the test signals. I saved the result as memory-1 and ensured the receiver is set to the same MCACC setting.

So when I switch to watching TV, CDs, Netflix, or sound streaming with RDIO, I only get the front and center speakers (RDIO and Netflix are through my Roku 3 which then goes to the receiver). My sub-woofer and the rear channel in-ceiling speakers produce no sound. Yet, I'm convinced they are properly connected as the test signals all responded appropriately.

I checked the settings on Netflix and most movies are listed as stereo but I thought the receiver would split the sound-up as specified in the MCACC setting. Even if not, the CDs and DVDs suffer the same result with no outputs to the rear. When conducting the speaker modification, I noted the sub was incorrectly connected to a center channel but it seemed to work. I connected it to the sub output on the receiver and it responds only to the MCACC test signals - the cutoff is set to 80hz but I've set the value at a variety of settings with no difference.

So I'm confused as to why the MCACC works but all audio outputs do not feed all channels. Maybe the receiver is not splitting the signal? I'm running out of ideas and looking for suggestions....:(

·
Registered
28,739 Posts
MCACC is used to calibrate the speaker levels to your room. You still have to select the correct sound mode to get sound out of all speakers.

For instance if you're watching stereo movies or listening to two channel music you need to select Dolby PLII or DTS Neo:6 or 5 Channel Stereo (ADV Surround Mode) if you want sound to all 5 speakers.

Look on page 27 - 31 and also page 84 - 88 to better understand the formats available to you.

If you don't have the owners manual you can download it here.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/v...1/310148018VSX84TXSIOperatingInstructions.pdf

Check out the Symptoms and solutions on page 78. It'll answer many of your questions.

Room calibration with MCACC and selecting sound modes are two completely different things.

Also, in order the sub to kick in when playing two channel sources you need to make sure all of your speakers are set to SMALL and Sub set to YES.

Netflix movies and shows are usually in Dolby Digital Plus but your receiver is older and doesn't decode DD+ from Netflix, or TrueHD or DTS-MA from Blu Ray

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MCACC is used to calibrate the speaker levels to your room. You still have to select the correct sound mode to get sound out of all speakers.

For instance if you're watching stereo movies or listening to two channel music you need to select Dolby PLII or DTS Neo:6 or 5 Channel Stereo (ADV Surround Mode) if you want sound to all 5 speakers.

Look on page 27 - 31 and also page 84 - 88 to better understand the formats available to you.

Check out the Symptoms and solutions on page 78. It'll answer many of your questions.

Room calibration with MCACC and selecting sound modes are two completely different things.

Also, in order the sub to kick in when playing two channel sources you need to make sure all of your speakers are set to SMALL and Sub set to YES.

Netflix movies and shows are usually in Dolby Digital Plus but your receiver is older and doesn't decode DD+ from Netflix, or TrueHD or DTS-MA from Blu Ray
Well this helped me. I could have added I have the sound mode to 7-D theater which didn't help, but re-entering the MCACC and setting all speakers to SMALL, has engaged the sub-woofer; so much so I've had to turn it back to stop it over-powering the rest of the system. I tried so many settings previously I had it set to -10Db.

Now I'll see what I can do to boost the rear speakers as I find their normal setting to be too low. I'm a little embarrassed as I had read other posts recommending the small setting but somehow thought this was for a special setup. Anyways, I've now got something to work with. Thanks for your guidance. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts