AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a RCA Home Theater RTD215 and the TV is an RCA L26WD21 (cant put links b/c this is my first post).

When I play a DVD, the surround sound works (DVD built into the reciever), but it does not work when watching TV. I have regular cable conncected to the TV via coaxial. The audio goes from the TV to the reciever via composite (red and white). This is the only audio input avaliable. So do I have a setting wrong or is it not possible to get surround sound for TV?

For audio, the TV has coaxial digital out or HDMI, but the receiver only has component input. So is it a cable company issue where I am not receiving TV in surround or is it that surround cannot go through component? Or a setting off?

thanks for your time

·
Registered
237 Posts
In order to get surround sound from your TV it needs to be connected to the receiver with a digital connection. If your receiver doesn't have a digital input, which it sounds like it doesn't, then you won't be able to get surround sound out of the TV. Red/white RCA's is an analog stereo connection.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmtnb44 /forum/post/14183592

In order to get surround sound from your TV it needs to be connected to the receiver with a digital connection. If your receiver doesn't have a digital input, which it sounds like it doesn't, then you won't be able to get surround sound out of the TV. Red/white RCA's is an analog stereo connection.

Actually, even if the receiver had digital optical inputs you still wouldn't get surround sound since most (maybe all?) TVs only pass 2-channel stereo on this output unless the source is from their own tuner (OTA).

Also, the coax input to the TV is only receiving stereo. The only way to get true surround would be by using digital cablebox sound connected direct to the receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts