Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my setup:

Klipsch quintets surround - 2 fronts, center, 2 rear

Klipsch KSW10 Sub

Denon AVR-1602 receiver

Panasonic DMP-35k Blu Ray

I can't hear speech that well. No matter if it is Dolby Digital, DTS, or whatever. The speech gets washed out by the surround sounds (not necessarily the surround speakers themselves). I thought all I needed to do was to increase the volume of the center speaker and that would take care of it. NOPE! It didn't. I even checked and calibrated all surround speakers to be exact with a sound level meter and pumped the center channel even louder. No good. I checked my connections on the back of the receiver to make sure each speaker was hooked up correctly and all is correct. When I get close to the center speaker, it sounds like it is also letting sounds other than voice/speach come through. I thought the center was supposed to only have speach coming through it. What can I do to remedy this problem? Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
896 Posts
In DD or DTS most of the on screen action is directed to the center channel. It is not limited to dialog. I am truly convinced that not enough effort goes to clear dialog in center channel mixes for many movies. This does not mean that you shouldn't understand dialog, however.

Make sure that you level match with either the receiver's built in room correction, or manually by using an SPL meter, which it looks like you did. Simply pumping up the CC level won't help much because the on screen action will just get louder in the center speaker and continue to suppress the dialog even more.

If you have your center channel speaker inside a cabinet or entertainment center this will play havoc with sound. Try to get it out and in the open using either a center channel stand or wall mounting it. It is also possible to put the speaker in front of the TV if the height of the speaker doesn't go higher than the bezel. Or, if the center is big enough, put your TV on top of the speaker. Anything to get the speaker pointed at or situated near ear level. Anything after these fixes would be room treatments.

One last thing to consider is that your center speaker is not that good, and struggles to put out decent dialog. This is not all that uncommon. I can't tell you about your speaker because I don't have any experience with it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You may have some wave cancellation issues. Is your center speaker pointed straight at the back wall (the wall behind the seating area)? If so, try pointing it a little up or down. Other than that, some wall sound treatment may be in order.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 /forum/post/17036802

You may have some wave cancellation issues. Is your center speaker pointed straight at the back wall (the wall behind the seating area)? If so, try pointing it a little up or down. Other than that, some wall sound treatment may be in order.

Bingo. First bad guy of hard to understand voices is the room first, then the speakers.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanrrc /forum/post/17036663

Here is my setup:

Klipsch quintets surround - 2 fronts, center, 2 rear

Klipsch KSW10 Sub

Denon AVR-1602 receiver

Panasonic DMP-35k Blu Ray

I can't hear speech that well. No matter if it is Dolby Digital, DTS, or whatever. The speech gets washed out by the surround sounds (not necessarily the surround speakers themselves). I thought all I needed to do was to increase the volume of the center speaker and that would take care of it. NOPE! It didn't. I even checked and calibrated all surround speakers to be exact with a sound level meter and pumped the center channel even louder. No good. I checked my connections on the back of the receiver to make sure each speaker was hooked up correctly and all is correct. When I get close to the center speaker, it sounds like it is also letting sounds other than voice/speach come through. I thought the center was supposed to only have speach coming through it. What can I do to remedy this problem? Many thanks in advance!

I believe that with the DVD player and the receiver set properly, even with a lower cost center speaker, you should hear reasonable center channel information.....assuming that you don't have the spkr hidden behind something. My gut feeling is that you're not listening in 5.1....something is not set properly. BTW, the center channel should play exactly what the movie makers intended. That might be voice/dialog, as well as other sounds.

Go into the menu's for both the DVD player and the receiver. Do you have a 5.1 test disc?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The center speaker is on top of my TV (mits 65" rear projection) and is pointed directly at listening level.

I have a Avia disc that I have used. I plays the noise in every channel and seems to work fine.

One thing I thought about is changing the selection of the speaker size in the setup menu. The receiver's manual says, it isn't the dimention of the speaker that it is referring to when it says size, but the range of the speaker. I still have my owner's manual for the speakers, but it doesn't give the tec specs of the range. Neither does their website.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Is this what you have?
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...pecifications/

Your center speaker only has 3.5" drivers and its frequency response is rated from 125 Hz to 23000 Hz. In the receiver's setup menu, it needs to be set to "small". Unless you're using some big floorstander for a center speaker, the center should always be set to "small".

·
Registered
799 Posts
Check to see your speakers are in phase. Your C could also have a busted tweeter which would adversely affect dialogue. Also make sure your speakers are set to small with a 100hz or 120hz xo and make sure they are level matched properly.

If I were you I'd also try resetting your AVR back to default settings to make sure you don't have any weird features turned on.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/17036912

I believe that with the DVD player and the receiver set properly, even with a lower cost center speaker, you should hear reasonable center channel information.....

I went through quite a few center channels before I found one that worked great. In this case - even though I am a Klipsch fan - I put the blame on the center itself. Fiddling with placement may help and should be tried but acoustical treatments are most likely out of the question.

Sadly, due to the ridiculous practice of putting effects and music into the center channel (as previously stated by DMcR) you really need a good center if you want to hear properly hear dialog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.