AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey all, I'm a bit new here and could use some help. I've been looking to upgrade from my tiny Toshiba 24L4200U and cannot make a decision. I'm looking for an LED around 50" big for my apartment - the viewing distance is right around 10' from my couch. I'm primarily going to use this TV for gaming on my Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and very low input lag is highly desired. I will also using it to watch standard def TV. I'd really like to stay around $750, but I would be willing to push it up to around $1000 or so if it is really worth it in the long run. I'm not interested in any Smart TV or 3D functionalities, as I'll be using the Xbox One for all media purposes. 60Hz refresh rate is all I really need as long as the motion blur is good enough, since I'll be using it in game mode most of the time. I plan on keeping this as my main TV for many years, so something with a good track record is also desired.

I've narrowed it down to these Samsung TVs for pure affordability:

- Samsung UN50EH5000:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078LSTRK/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

- Samsung UN50F5000:  http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50F5000-50-Inch-1080p-60Hz/dp/B00BCGRZ22/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393708453&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+UN50F5000

- Samsung UN50F5500:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD8TOTG/?tag=dislag-20

I've read on here that all three of them have panel lottery issues, especially with the EH5000. Also, according to the amazon reviews, the F5000 has bad upscaling from anything under 1080p, something that isn't brought up in the F5500 reviews, so I'm assuming it's not a problem with the F5500. However, it seems like the F5000 and the F5500 are nearly identical in every other way minus the number of HDMI ports and reports of the F5500 shutting down at random here and there, which sounds troubling. It seems like the F5000 would be the better choice since it's cheaper and doesn't have any Smart TV features, I just hope that the picture quality with sub-1080p gaming/TV is the same quality as the F5500.

On the more expensive side, would it be better to go with the Sony 47" or 55" W802A series ( http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL-47W802A-47-Inch-120Hz-Internet/dp/B00AWKBZ0C )? I've read up that Sony doesn't have any panel lottery issues and it seems like it would be a more reliable TV in the long run. Plus the input lag clocks in at around 17ms which is phenomenal! It looks like I can get a used 47" off of amazon for about $850. Would 47" be a bit too small for the 10 foot viewing distance in my apartment? It's nearly a $400 difference between a used 47" and a used 55", so would the difference be worth it?

I'm looking to buy online and not in store, so getting a quality TV on the first time without having to ship it back for a replacement is a necessity for me. I'd rather buy new for the Samsungs due to the QC issues with their panels, but with the Sony I'm willing to buy used off of amazon as long as it's reliable to do so. Does anyone know if I would get a manufacturers warranty on the Sony if I bought it used off of amazon?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

EDIT: so I found a great deal on a Samsung UNEH556000 for $600 through craigslist. It has a TH-02 panel on it, so that seems to be a very good sign. Should I go through with that, or would it be worth it to go for the Sony W802A instead? Also, Sony should be releasing their 2014 W800 models this month, should I expect a price drop on the W802A sometime soon? If so, I will definitely go for that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Bumping...again. I found a great deal on a Samsung UNEH556000 for $600 through craigslist. It has a TH-02 panel on it, so that seems to be a very good sign. Should I go through with that, or would it be worth it to go for the Sony W802A instead? Also, Sony should be releasing their 2014 W800 models this month, should I expect a price drop on the W802A sometime soon? If so, I will definitely go for that.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf611  /t/1520463/cant-make-decision-on-new-50-could-really-use-some-help#post_24435147

Bumping...again. I found a great deal on a Samsung UNEH556000 for $600 through craigslist. It has a TH-02 panel on it, so that seems to be a very good sign. Should I go through with that, or would it be worth it to go for the Sony W802A instead? Also, Sony should be releasing their 2014 W800 models this month, should I expect a price drop on the W802A sometime soon? If so, I will definitely go for that.

If gaming is important to you go for the Sony W802a. Or you can wait for this years 2014 model but it won't be in your budget.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Last week I just bough a 2013 40" Sony Bravia KDL 40R450A it came with a Samsung 6 bit LED panel rather than a true 8 or 10 bit panel . 6 bit panels cost less and they have to dither quite a bit (guess) more than a true 8 bit panel to display true 16 bit HDTV color sometimes the colors seem off that was a disappointment. I have 2012 similar price Toshiba LCD with a 10bit Samsung panel much better picture all in all.

I don't know how Sony sources panels it seems they are cutting costs though and might be using LG edge lit IPS panels in some of the new 2014 models ...... I'll pass on those at least in the mid and lower price Sony's .

What about a 50" Toshiba I've yet to see a Toshiba with a bad picture and think maybe I should have bought another one but B.B was out of them . I looked at the Samsung UN40EH 53/5500 also the picture as OK but not spectacular not even as good as the 2012 Toshiba.

. Ofc that may have been a panel lottery thing because I saw the same model Samsungs earlier in the year and they were just fine if the Samsung's I saw recently looked like the other ones I saw earlier (I suspect with different paneIs) I would have went home with one ,they didn't have the Toshiba I wanted either so I went home and ordered the Sony Bravia on line.

This particular Sony is made by Foxconn and assembled in Mexico and has a Samsung SPVA panel . A Samsung panel and being made by Foxconn aren't necessarily bad things the majority of Sony's TV's are made by by Foxconn now except the high end stuff.

Going forward it's hard to say about Sony other than that their premium sets should still be OK . The W8202A I understand is pretty good

the new W800 who knows? it should be good ? . I've owned 2 Sony's in the past never had any issues

they were very good and dependable ..

UPDATE ,

I installed a Firmware update dated 12/13 in the Sony 40R450A a couple of days ago it took care of all the picture quality issues Big improvement and it has a very good picture now they changed something for sure so Sony's back in my good graces again .

The update can be found here in case anybody reading this has one http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat  /t/1520463/cant-make-decision-on-new-50-could-really-use-some-help#post_24436276

If gaming is important to you go for the Sony W802a. Or you can wait for this years 2014 model but it won't be in your budget.
Gaming is definitely the #1 priority here. I know the Samsung EH6000 has 35 ms of input lag, which isn't bad, but definitely isn't as great as the Sony's 17 ms. However, we're talking the difference between $600 and $1500, so I'm a bit torn. Is there any hope of there being a price drop on the W802A any time this month since the new models are rolling out? Other than the input lag differences, would the picture be that much better on the Sony than the Samsung? The Samsung is back-lit while the Sony is edge-lit, and from what I've heard the Sony has a much bigger chance of having uniformity issues. I just want to be able to justify spending the extra $900 on the Sony for what right now seems to just be the advantage of better input lag (for my needs at least). Though, the 4 HMDI inputs would be great and the passive 3D would be cool....ARG! I'm driving myself crazy over this!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The picture quality would be better on the Samsungs, because, I think, the Sony W802a is a IPS panel & won't have the deeper black levels that VA panels have.

If you want better picture quality than the Sony W900A is the only option. It's a few hundred more though.

The difference between 17ms. & 30ms. input lag isn't that huge. You'll hardly know the difference.

From my experience input lag is only really noticeable from 40ms. & up.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
cnet gave this Sony a pass it can be had for $900.00 -1K or so

they stated "Overall this is a very good performer compared to its competition"
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-50r550a/4505-6482_7-35561978.html it can be had for $900.00 -1K or so

Here is the LG panel in the KDL 50R550A http://www.panelook.cn/LC500EUD-FFF3_LG%20Display_50_LCM_overview_20320.html

Other than the 1400:1 contrast ratio the other panel specs are pretty decent this is a 3Dpanel also that might have something to do with the contrast spec . It could be LG measures panel contrast differently also ?

There is whole thread here on those sets http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70

In addition to the Sony R450a with the Samsung SPVA panel I have a Sammy Plasma and I also have an LG 42LN5300 with ofc an LG IPS panel the contrast is not so good thus neither is the picture .

To be fair LG does make some better IPS panels both 2K and 4K with much higher contrast and brightness specs than the one I have . I saw a Panasonic 50 or 55 with an LG IPS panel it had a real good picture .OTOH Sammie makes decent panels .

The UNEH556000 did not review as well as the Sony KDL R550a /520A at Cnet they stated" it had mediocre picture quality.".IIRC cnet also said the Samsung UNEH 5300/5500 series sets had better pictures than the more expensive UNEH6000 series Samsungs . http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55eh6000/4505-6482_7-35159624.html

Edited by tubetwister - Today at 8:28 pm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for all the advice and info, tubetwister! Although the R550a is listed at $1000 for one company, I'd feel much more comfortable buying through either Best Buy or Amazon, and since the R550a is listed at $1400 vs the $1300 for the W802A, I think I'm going to go with the W802A and either go to my local Best Buy and price match with Amazon or buy directly through Amazon. I've come to realize that I would really enjoy the extremely low input lag on the W802A and that buying a different TV would only have me thinking of how much better it would be if I had gotten the W802A instead

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
From what I've read anyway the 802A might be a better set all in all . I can see where buying from Amazon or BB might be prudent also good luck .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts