AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Eric Clapton's Crossroads 2013 Concert (BluRay) from a local Best Buy yesterday. I always make MKV files to load on my media server. Made an MKV from disc 1 - no problem. But disc 2 keeps giving errors and stopping. So I put disc 2 in my Oppo 105 blu-ray player and there is a skip at around 1:50 into the disc - and it jumps 10 seconds forward. I watched the entire disc 2 and that was the only problem. I'm presuming this is why makeMKV is failing to create an MKV.

Does anyone else have this disc? I just want to know if my copy is defective and I should get it replaced - or if they're all like that. And is there a way to make an MKV file when it has a small issue like this? I really don't mind the skip as it's during the intro.

Thanks for any help/advice!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
try making a disc backup in MakeMKV and save that to your HDD, then ripping the MKV from the HDD disc backup. I had to do that a couple of times when it otherwise was taking forever to rip a disc. Not sure if it'll work if the disc has a portion that's unreadable but you'll find that out when you're making the backup disc. I do know that console bd players are more forgiving of errors than makemkv is.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried to back-up and it failed.

Hoping someone has this Bluray so I can determine if it's just my disc or if it's a manufacturing defect that exists on all of them.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
It seems almost certain to me that the disc is defective if you can reproduce the error in a Blu-ray player and MakeMKV. I once got a sealed DVD set where one of the discs suffered from a manufacturing defect. There were no scratches on it, but one of the episodes wouldn't play or rip. I had to buy a replacement.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Per Amazon reviews, the DVD version was riddled with flaws. The 2nd half of both discs were the same and it was missing tracks! So maybe this small flaw exists on all Blurays. It's a very small flaw, one that most wouldn't notice or allow to bug them since it's just a 10 second jump at the very beginning intro - the music hasn't started yet. I normally forward through the intro's, so I wouldn't have noticed if makeMKV hadn't caught it.

This was the last copy at Best Buy. I would either have them order another or try to get a refund and order from somewhere else. Getting a refund on an opened disc is difficult. Was hoping someone could confirm that their copy doesn't have any problems before I try to jump through the return hoop - specially since another one isn't in stock at my local store.

It's an awesome concert with some great talent. Someone MUST have it here!

But on another note, although it's a great concert, I liked the original one (which I have on DVD 2003 or 2004) and the 2010 Crossroads on BluRay much better. The sound quality on those is much better than this one (2013 concert). But the other concerts were out doors while the 2013 was indoors, so maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
My Blu Ray of 2 Headed Shark Attack has obvious problems with the video encode. Compression gets real bad at one point and then there's a skip forward of a second at another point.

Sadly, I think I'm the only person in the world who bought it so I don't think there is going to be a recall.

Still... Was really happy to be able to grab it on Blu!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts