AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Throw a dart at your computer screen, and whichever one it comes closest to, buy it. Seriously, you'll be happy with any of them, and unless you have each of them in your house at the same time to compare, you're not really going to know the difference. They're each capable performers, so go with cost and/or aesthetics to make your choice.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Try the VTF 15. The Empire is out of stock till late September anyways. If you don't like it, you can always return it with in the trial period. At least you won't have to wonder how it did in your space which allows you to consider something else. The Rosewood looks nice

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea /forum/post/20810774

That's a big space.

Buy a Captivator.

Now yer talking! Kill the upgraditus for a long time!

Seriously, one way to break the tie amongs three close choices is to up the budget a little bit and get something better than any of them like a Rythmik FV15HP for example.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/20810814

Now yer talking! Kill the upgraditus for a long time!

Seriously, one way to break the tie amongs three close choices is to up the budget a little bit and get something better than any of them like a Rythmik FV15HP for example.
hehehe

I settled my "upgraditus" with my current pair of Captivators...I've never heard anything better (for my taste in awesome, tactile, presentation) --- thus believing you have the best (true or not) is a great salve for that nasty upgrade disease...

The other comfort is that even if there was something better I don't have the capacity to need any more than the Captivators give me. 125dB -- clean ---in my room at the listening position with dubstep music --- on a single cheap EP4000 amp is not leaving much room for future sub envy. They may not be every one's "cherry" choice, but for the price and the product's delivery --- they are a very heavy hitter! Ricci needs to acquire one of these for his independent tests.

Domingos1965 --- if you are coming up on 50 years old (assuming your handle reveals your birthdate) --- you may or may not love that tactile feedback and in your face presentation of the Captivator. In that case what are you seeking? smooth accurate sound? pounding tactile LFE? Figure out what is most important to you and move towards your decision based on your #1 preference.

I personally agree with one of the posters that if you didn't compare them side by side you may not know the difference and would be happy with all of them. I have however heard two of those subs you are considering in your original post on the same day in the same room, in the same position, and on the same equipment, and I do believe they definitely sound different enough to warrant a clear winner in my mind (at least weighed against my subjective preferences) My subjective preferences won't necessarily match yours. 6 - 8 guys came to the KC sub meet in my sig, each walked away with slightly different impressions on what they thought was best -- so there is no clear answer...

It all boils down to what you, subjectively, will like in your room, in your placement configuration!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/20810578

between the HSU VTF-15, the eD A5-350 and the EPIK EMPIRE

non sealed room around 3300 cu ft ,kinda open to living and dining room

Every room is different so no promises, but out of the 3 choices I recommend the Hsu. IME, the Empire will yield considerably more SPL across most of the spectrum, but the Hsu is loaded with features. I most especially prefer the sound of the Hsu in its sealed mode... and surprisingly it doesn't *seem* to lose much SPL.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
At this point I have seen you ask this question in about 12 different threads. I don't think you will be happy with anything because your over thinking it. I think you will be 2nd guessing yourself until the end of time.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20811405

At this point I have seen you ask this question in about 12 different threads. I don't think you will be happy with anything because your over thinking it. I think you will be 2nd guessing yourself until the end of time.

I think you're right

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan /forum/post/20811499

domingos1965:

You recommended the eD A5-350 on another thread. Is that what you decided on?

the guy has a $700 budget so i recommended the eD

MY budget it up to $1000 + shipping

right now its 50% eD 50% HSU

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
@domingos. I was in the same boat as you: HSU VTF15", Epik Empire or Rythmik F15HP/FV15HP. And after all I decided to DIY. Why?... Empire is in backorder, Rythmik is also in backorder. HSU is not in backorder but I want a true sealed sub; and the HSU is a hybrid. Also shipping costs to me is killing just because I live in Puerto Rico.

I dont have any wood making skills; but Elemental Designs are going to do the enclosure and I do the assembly. I will use a PSI Custom Subwoofer Driver for HT, and I will use a Behringer EP4000 Amplifier. The reason is simple. Just in case I decide to get a second sub in the future to smooth bass and get higher SPL all I have to do is get another enclosure and driver. No need for another amp; the EP4000 is two channel amp.

I wish to get a custom Fi Q15 driver, or Ascendant Audio Havoc but they never answered my emails to see if they can ship it to Puerto Rico. The PSi Driver is a custom one; a 15" 1000W RMS, Dual 2 ohm cooper coil, and better parameters than the PSI Platform 1 sub they sell.

So; here is the math: $230+$50 shipping for driver, $292+$30 shipping for EP4000 and $225 shipping included for custom sealed enclosure made by eD in which includes a bracing, flush mount, all sort of nails needed, wood glue and 4 rubber foot. The wood use for the enclosure is EFS; in which Elemental Designs claims is better than MDF. Total $827 with the advantage of upgradability for a second sub and/or different driver.

Drawback: You have to wait for all and do the assembly. But as far as the wood panels are already professionally cut there's nothing to worry. I waited 2 months since I started to get a new sub (research, lots of reading on the web, lots of postings, etc....) and finally I have almost all ready. The other drawback is that I wanted always to hear an Epik Empire and Rythmik Subs! Im pretty sure are awesome subs!; but there's something Im going to miss.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaBelly /forum/post/20811740

I just ordered the BIC F-12...I only got one of them, but with your budget you could get 5 or 6 of them bad boys.....thats around 72 inches of pure woofer...that will shake ur nuts for sure!

Um that math doesn't quite equate. The area of six 12" woofers would add up to about 2713 square inches. A 72" woofer would have the area of about 16,277 square inches.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/20812098

Um that math doesn't quite equate. The area of six 12" woofers would add up to about 2713 square inches. A 72" woofer would have the area of about 16,277 square inches.

who is talking about 'area' Einstein?
...plus, isnt the area of a 12" woofer around 113 sq inches? So six would just be over 660 square inches. I'm also pretty sure the area would be the same for 6 - 12" subs compared to 1 72-inch sub..(I just used A=Pi x r(2)); but honestly, I have not had a math class since 9 years ago in undergrad..i sucked at it which is why I went to law school lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.