AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newby. Purhcased a Toshiba 65H80 HDTV a few years ago and just recently purchased the Hughes E86 receiver to pick up HDTV over the air and Directv. I live in between Fort Lauderdale and Miami Florida, zip 33312. From my research I should be able to pick up lots of local channels that broadcast HDTV, but I can't get my receiver to even register a signal for the DT channels. I purchased the little Zenith Silver Sensor antenna that gets great reviews. All the analog channels come in crystal clear. Digital signal shows 0 on all channels on receiver.

Is there anyone out there will an E86 and the Zenith Antenna that could give me some pointers? Maybe there is a setting that I have wrong on the setup for the receiver. I have the antenna set up as Local 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do you live in Hollywood? I don't live there but from the looks of Antennaweb.com you should be getting everything. Have you tried rotating the antenna around? I have to point mine in the correct direction to get the signals where I live.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have found the receiver is annoyingly quirky about catching new channels. I might recommend you unplug it while going to work or doing an errand, then come back and with the antenna plugged in scan again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do live in Hollywood. I have tried moving the antenna around. I took the antenna web coordinates and locked onto an analog signal that was at the same degree as a digital. Made sure the picture was crystal clear and tried the digital chanel and just got a black screen. Also, when you have the receiver read the signal strength they are all 0. Seems like the receiver does not notice any digial activity at all.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was born in Hollywood which is why I knew.

I suspect you have another problem here. You should be getting a signal easily , I live in a mountainous area 25+ miles away from the towers and get everything with the Zenith.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks GregF I will try that. When I go into the setup and look at the Local 1 settings on the receiver it lists all the channels that are available in my area. But when I go into the GUIDE, it does not list any of the channels that have the -1, such as 2-1, or 10-1. Are there any digital channels with just 2 numbers?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I think that you should be getting something even if your antenna was pointed at the ground. Consider returning your E86 as defective and get a replacement.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbhumphreys
Thanks GregF I will try that. When I go into the setup and look at the Local 1 settings on the receiver it lists all the channels that are available in my area. But when I go into the GUIDE, it does not list any of the channels that have the -1, such as 2-1, or 10-1. Are there any digital channels with just 2 numbers?
Digital channels are usually remapped to their analog counterpart's channel number. They have a number with a "-" in the middle. Example: channel 16-1. The actual channel they broadcast on does not have a dash, and is usually different.

Did you do a CHANNEL SCAN? If so, try removing all ZIP Codes in the setup menu. Reboot and rescan. If that works, try re-adding your local ZIP Code, or a similar, but different nearby ZIP.

Make sure the digital channels in the list are "added". There should be check marks in the boxes for the added channels.

For actual channel numbers for your area, see:
http://100kwatts.tmi.net/listings.html

Digital stations' call letters end in "-DT" in the lists.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I think Arxaw hit the nail on the head. Sounds like he is not going to the Digital channels but going to the analog Channel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done the channel scan several times, but not while removing the zip code. I will try that. I have selected the 10-1 channel and 2-1, etc. and the guide does state the info for the channel, but no picture and it is not listed in the scrolling channel guide. When you go into the setup screen it only lets you look at the local digital signal strength of a 2 digit channel. Will not let you see the strength of a channel with the - in it. I have tried all the 2 digit channels though and none have a register on the digital signal meter. My antenna is the Zenith Silver Sensor, I understand that this is a UHF antenna. What's the chance of most of the digital channels in south Florida being VHF?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Quote:
These folks are correct, the receiver lists them as UHF channels in the setup menus, under the DTV tab. You'll see a bunch of UHF channels "shown". Those are your digital stations.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by McNasty
It doesn't matter where you are, digital channels are broadcast over UHF
mcnasty,

This is simply not true.

We have 2 VHF digitals in my area. Many areas have more than that. See:
http://100kwatts.tmi.net/listings.html

And when analog is eventually shut off, many stations with VHF-analog / UHF-digital assignments plan to switch their UHF digital to the VHF analog channel assignment and give back the UHF assignment.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I live in Fort Lauderdale (33308 zip). Will the Zenith Silver Sensor work for the Miami channels or do I need an outside antenna? I'm confused by the antennaweb information. It lists several of the Miami stations in the yellow category with many of the same stations in the green category. Difference is that in the yellow category the letters "-DT" are next to the call sign letters, and also some of the channel numbers are different. For example, WLRN in the yellow category says WLRN-DT and that it's channel 20. In the green category it says WPLG (without the -DT) and that it's on channel 17 (which is the channel I normally know it to be).

Also, I live in a 2 story house- don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
No one can tell for sure if an antenna will work until it's tried. Buy one locally from Sears, CC, BB etc. If it doesn't work, simply return it for a refund.

You may have problems with the Silver Sensor because according to antennaweb, you have 3 digitals (-DT) stations in the VHF band. VHFs are channels 2-13. The Silver Sensor is designed as a UHF antenna. UHF channels are 14-69. A VHF+UHF antenna would probably work better for you since you have so many VHF and UHF digital channels. Being close to the stations (yellow band on antennaweb), you may only need a simple VHF+UHF antenna like this:
http://www.rca.com/documents/ant130_299_25.jpg

If you need something more powerful, try this one from Radio Shack.

Digital & analog channels have to broadcast on different frequencies, or they wouldn't work. That's why there are 2 channel numbers on the antennaweb site.

The channel numbers on antennaweb indicate the actual channel the -DT stations are broadcasting on. For simplicity (or confusion, depending on your point of view), the stations usually add mapping information to the digital signal.

On your digital tuner, the channnels will usually appear as a remapped channel number with a "-1" at the end, instead of the actual channel they're broadcast on. The "remapped" number is usually the same as the old analog channel.

Example: WLRN is on analog channel 17 and on digital channel 20. When you tune in the digital channel on your digital tuner, you'll actually be watching channel 20, but the channel number on the TV will likely appear as "17-1". If WLRN-DT is broadcasting more than one program (simulcasting), the additional channels will appear as "17-2", "17-3" etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks arxaw... I believe that either the signal at my specific location must be to week to pull in a signal, or I have something configured wrong on my receiver. I went to Radio Shack and got their most expense indoor antenna, 15-1880. It pulled in less channels than the Silver Sensor. Neither antenna registers any signal on the local digital meter on my Hughes E86 receiver. Do these HDTV channels broadcast a signal all the time or just when they have HDTV programing? When you select the channel from the guide should you select the actual 2 digit channel that it is broadcast on or the virtual channel with the -?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Quote:
Do these HDTV channels broadcast a signal all the time or just when they have HDTV programing?
Late at night they pull the plug, no signal so you need to test during primetime. WB20 has a signal 24/7 here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's the one I got. Tried pointing it in every direction, the analog channels were all snowy. I live near an airport, does that effect TV signals....I am grasping for straws now...

hotshot do you live in South Florida? Need to find someone that lives in the Hollywood, Dania Beach area of Broward County Florida to see what type of antenna they are using.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK.. here's an update. After reviewing my channel guide and looking at each channel I have found that most of the stations where there is supposed to be a HDTV channel, such as 4 and 4-1, I have 3 channels listed. There are 2 4's and a 4-1. This is the same situation for each of the major networks. The first 4 is listed as WFOR, the second is MI4 and the third is listed as WFOR-DT. The channels with the call signal of WFOR, etc all look like analog channels with blurry snowy pitures. The channels that are labled with the MI are all crystal clear, not in wide screen though. The channels with the call sign followed by -1 I receive no picture.

Is there a chance that my digital channels are labeled as MI? Non of the programming looked to be in HDTV, I will check CSI and Leno tonight to see if the MI channels carry them in HDTV.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.