AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a bad storm here yesterday that knocked out power to our house. When power came back on I tried to play some of the shows that my RCA UltimateTV (70 hour) had recorded.

Unfortunately none of the shows will play. Every time I select one out of the "My Shows" list and then select play, it comes back to the "Erase / Start Over" screen. Selecting "Start Over" does nothing.

Some of these show have been saved on the dish for weeks, and I have watched some of them previously, so I know they're there. Also, they all have a time length associated with them, so it's not like nothing was recorded.

What can I do to get the programs back, or are they lost forever? I've tried pulling the power for several minutes, as well as the 32768 reset code, but nothing seems to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Gary

·
Registered
524 Posts
Leave the power off longer.. disconnect the dish inputs also.

IF you still have the problem when you startup again ... delete the most recent show you recorded especially if it one that was recording when power went off.

Also check your history file for obvious problems, tuner dropping out, missed recordings, etc.

Might remove and reinstall access card and do system test.

Do you leave you utv in operate mode all the time or do you turn it to standby now and then?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, tried it...didn't work.

I disconnected the two inputs and pulled the power for at least 1/2 hour. Nothing...I tried pulling out the access card, putting it back in a doing a system test. Everything on the test came back fine but it still won't play anything in "My Shows".

I turn the unit off every night, but don't disconnect the power, so I guess that's called standby? Do it matter if you leave it on all the time or put it in standby? I was under the impression that in standby mode the hard disk will defragment itself. Is this not correct?

Any other ideas / suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Try recording something new. See if the problem is related to disk corrupted when power went down or if there is something wrong with the unit. If the disk is simply corrupted, you would just lose what you have recorded. In that case, I would try deleting one at a time and see if I could salvage anything.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Does your UTV still show it has the same capacity it had before the storm?

Did it go from 60% for example to 20% or 3%?

Does the UTV work in evey other way? Can you rew/ff "live" programs? Do you have have channel buffers and PIP?

Have you been able to record new programs... (Pressing REC while watching one of the channels...) Can you ff/rew that program and watch it later in MY SHOWS?

If you feel up to it you might want to give DTV or the DVR division (there was a reference to getting a DTV CR fast recently, that was the number for TIVO/UltimateTV division)

If you'd rather tinker with the UTV yourself (at your own risk)...

If everything else seems to work and your unable to watch "MY SHOWS", I'd suggest trying to force a download of the 3.5 software.

I think 8675309 is the code you'd use for that... Search for Jenny code...

Some have suggested that reinstalling the software might resolve any file corruptions...

However, you might have to face the fact that Computers (UTV included) don't like getting the power cut... bad things can happen.

Keep an eye out at the local Office Supply store for a cheap UPS power strip... (I've paid less then $20 for each of mine at Staples or OfficeMax.)

You won't have to worry about your UTV's power getting yanked again so unexpectedly...

David T.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.