AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble creating a Live CD properly.

I'm not particular about which Linux flavor it is. But it needs to have VLC Media Player, ATI HD drivers and a few other applications installed. None of these items are available in any distros that I know of.

I realize there are alternatives to VLC, but that doesn't help me with the various other apps I want to install also.

I don't want a Live USB stick. It's gotta be CD or DVD.

I've messed around with Fedora Revisor but can't figure out how to get it to load 3rd party stuff. Also played around with a few other things that I just couldn't get working properly.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it possible to just load an operating system onto a hard drive. Configure it the way you want. Then clone the whole thing to a bootable DVD?

I don't think it is, but technology moves so fast these days that it's dumb not to ask.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 /forum/post/19629714

Here is a good tutorial on how to make a personalized Mandriva One Live CD, it's in German but you might be able to follow it using google translate:

http://www.mandrivauser.de/doku/doku...ls:selfmadeiso

Thanks, but I don't see where it talks about installing programs that are not part of the original image? 3rd party applications?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie
Thanks, but I don't see where it talks about installing programs that are not part of the original image? 3rd party applications?
In step 3 it does, the whole procedure described on that page is about unpacking the live CD image on hard disk, then modifying it and then rebuilding the modified live CD image.

urpmi.addmedia is for adding the repositories, urpme is the command to remove packages and urpmi is the command to install new packages from the repositories (the equivalents of apt-get on Debian/Ubuntu).

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
On Debian or Ubuntu (and Mint I assume), you can try Remastersys

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

Quote:
Remastersys is a tool that can be used to do 2 things with an existing Debian, Ubuntu or derivative installation.

1.It can make a full system backup including personal data to a live cd or dvd that you can use anywhere and install.

2.It can make a distributable copy you can share with friends. This will not have any of your personal user data in it.

I have never tried it yet

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
CZ,

I thought the directions for Ubuntu were pretty straight forward. I had issues with 10.10, but 10.4LTS was fine. Also, I found that a USB stick was much more convenient. If you don't have one available, then that is cool.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 /forum/post/19633765

In step 3 it does, the whole procedure described on that page is about unpacking the live CD image on hard disk, then modifying it and then rebuilding the modified live CD image.

Thanks, I started to re-look at this when RGB posted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/19647274

On Debian or Ubuntu (and Mint I assume), you can try Remastersys

Thank you, that is the first utility that has actually worked on the first try!

It's not perfect. I guess I was hoping for some sort of carbon copy of my desktop. And it doesn't do that. But it does retain the applications you install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo /forum/post/19661799

CZ,

I thought the directions for Ubuntu were pretty straight forward. I had issues with 10.10, but 10.4LTS was fine. Also, I found that a USB stick was much more convenient. If you don't have one available, then that is cool.

I never tried 1.4, only 10.10. Anything I found until RGB's post didn't work well or failed completely.

USB sticks are cool. I don't have one to spare, but even if I did, I'm looking for something that can't be screwed up by virus or newbie CLI mistakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts