AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a rat shack antenna in my attic, connected to a diplexer with my directv line down to my e86.

i recieved my locals just fine until today when i bought an amp. (channel master) after i hooked that up and ran it into the diplexer i lost all my locals. so i took out the amp and hooked it up the way i had it originally and i still dont get my locals, i pick up the analog but it looks horrible now. i thought maybe i fried the diplexer (if that's possible) so i bought a new, still no good. i hooked up the rabbit ears just to check out if i could still recieve locals, and they worked good.

i still recieve directv just fine it's just the locals. the reason i hooked up the amp was to see if i could pick up some distant locals that we cant get here in new orleans (abc, fox)

any ideas to what i might have messed up???? thanks for the help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
18,501 Posts
Start checking the cabling. Something between the antenna and the diplexer is probably bad. A bent connector, a broken line, an added piece of substandard line. You can use your rabbit ears at each point along the way as a test mechanism. But a visual inspection or, if you have one, a quick check with a multimeter should point to the offending segment.

It's not uncommon for an amp to make things worse in that an amp amplifies everything, even noise and interference. If you're close to a particular station, its signal gets amplified to the point it overloads the front end of the receiver. The receiver can't filter that signal out enough to lock on to others.

You did take the amp's power supply back out of the line, right? And double check the actual antenna connections. I spent all of last Saturday futzing with mine until I noticed one side of the 300-ohm line had come loose from the front side of the amp. Duhhhhhhh.

Good luck

Doc

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok got it fixed, but i think something is wrong with my e86.

i took out the diplexer and ran the antenna line straight to my reciever, i checked the signal strength and i couldn't get it above 20% (usually it's at 100%) so i went back down to the reciever and moved the coax over to the antanna input, boom 100% on both channels that i normally recieve. i switched it back and lost the signal, so i put the diplexer back in the attic and used another one before going into my reciever and everything worked fine.

my question is i didn't need a diplexer at my reciever before but now i do, did the amp fry something in my e86? i'm going to try and call hughes tomorrow to see what they say.

thanks for the help dr don.

·
Super Moderator
18,501 Posts
I don't have the e-86, but it almost sounds as if something was changed in a menu somewhere, or via software glitch. If you didn't need one before, you shouldn't need one, now. However, getting your signal back is the key and if putting a diplexer in fixes things, then you're at least good to go.

If not, I'd think static or an improperly-connected or faulty amp could be a culprit.

Doc

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
tgatesp,

When you change inputs on the E86, are you going into the Setup Menu/Installation/Local Area setup menu and changing which input is assigned to the antenna? Using the connector marked Ant. means Local in 1 must be assigned to the antenna. Using the connector marked Sat. means Local in 2 must be assigned to the antenna. If Local in 1 is assigned to the antenna, your STB with behave as you are reporting.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
This is my first bump. The server recorded my post but then hung up and didn't note it on the main page.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
greywolf,

yes i changed the inputs. in fact i had a set of rabbit ears hooked up to antenna 1 and my ratshack antenna hooked up to the sat input. after switching back and forth between input 1 and 2 the rabbit ears pulled in the channels fairly good but my ant. in the attic hooked up to the sat input couldn't pull in anything. i kept changing the coax for my ant. in the attic from input 1 to input 2. even without the diplexer and running a straight shot from the attic to the sat. input i got nothing.

having the second diplexer does fix things but i was wondering if the "internal diplexer??" in the e86 got screwed up?? obviously somethings wrong but as long as i'm getting local hdtv again i'm happy.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tgatesp
having the second diplexer does fix things but i was wondering if the "internal diplexer??" in the e86 got screwed up?? obviously somethings wrong but as long as i'm getting local hdtv again i'm happy.
It would seem to be the case. As long as you don't need to handle an analog cableTV signal as well, you have a good workaround.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.