AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment complex. Consequently I can't run wire through the ceiling, wall, etc.

I have to run the wire from the floor up to the wall mounted speakers.

How do you guys recommend (VERY cheaply) hiding this wire?

I was thinking of getting those self-adhesive flat tubes that are used to hide electirical wire... but I'd need to get 2 of them and that would be $30 - I'm hoping for much less.... thats as much as I paid for the wire itself.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
tape and paint it to match the wall.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe I can try to find white tape somewhere.

Thanks for the idea... anyone else have any ideas?

I have a few of my own - but I figure collective brilliance can't hurt ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
how about flat speaker wire?

parts express flat speaker wire

also, if you have an ikea near you, they have those plastic channels for hiding wire. they're white, about 4 ft long and have a peel and stick backing. i don't recall exactly how much i paid (was about a year ago), but i don't think it was more than $5.00 for a pack of two strips.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Paint the wire the color of the wall. It's the simplest, cheapest and the thin wire will usually blend in better than any type of conduit.

-Justin

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can cut a groove in the drywall slightly deeper and wider than your wire. After placing wire in the groove, cover with spackle or drywall tape and paint to match. I did this in my old house and the wire completely disappeared. :D

Peace,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Watch out with the tape - I did this in an older place and at the end of the year, during move-out, the tape took with it much of the paint under it. I had to spackle/repaint./etc.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I have some taperwire for sale in the HT accessories classifieds for cheap...this is meant for this application.

Ron

·
Registered
571 Posts
$5 at home depot for 5 feet. I use this at my house.

Search for wire covering. I can't post links or pictures until I have more than five posts. :(

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahmoncool
I live in an apartment complex. Consequently I can't run wire through the ceiling, wall, etc.

I have to run the wire from the floor up to the wall mounted speakers.

How do you guys recommend (VERY cheaply) hiding this wire?

I was thinking of getting those self-adhesive flat tubes that are used to hide electirical wire... but I'd need to get 2 of them and that would be $30 - I'm hoping for much less.... thats as much as I paid for the wire itself.
If it is physically possible to do so, by far the easier thing to do will be to drill a hole at the speaker and bottom of the wall and fish the wire through. Run the wire the rest of the way to your amp along/behind the baseboards. Heck, they may even be able to advertise the apt later as "wired for surround sound" or something.

·
Registered
105 Posts
lol I was a bad tenant.... in my old apt, I "accidently" made a couple holes in the wall. A little spackle and a very quick once over with paint (just the holes.... wasnt worried about a perfect job, just pass inspection) Less then 30 minutes of work is well worth hiding wires.... I will say the walls werent in pristine condition when I moved in though which probably made my decision a little easier.

PS I never told you to do this..... its just a figment of your imagination.

ha, I almost forgot.... the dartboard I put up was much worse then wire holes..... people always found ways to miss that board/cabinet.... good ol murphy's law

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.