AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Replaytv 5040's. Both are accessing the Internet via wireless bridges to my wireless router for channel and software updates without any problems. I have assigned each of the units with a unique name (one is "bedroom" the other living room"). However, the units do not see one another. Do I need to do any have some kind of special configuration in order for me to be able to play recorded programs from the replay guide of the other unit? I don't have a firewall, so completely lost about what to do. Called Replaytv and they suggested rebooting both units to clear cache but this had no effect. Anybody who can help a layman would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well, I don't want you to feel ignored, so I'll make a suggestion - if you've already tried this I apologize: Do some searching in this forum.

I see you've only recently registered, so I'm going to assume you're new to ReplayTV and this board. Although I (hope?) believe most people have success with 'networking' their multiple replays (I had no problem over a wired Linksys network - plug and play) there are quite a few threads - at least dozens - where people have discussed your problem and suggested solutions. Perhaps you can find your solution there.

I'd offer to help myself, but as I said it was a no-brainer for me - I got my second replaytv, said I'd connect over a network, and during it's setup phase it found my other Replay. I'm able to schedule and watch TV on either unit successfully. I DID have one problem one time - I tried to watch a program on my 'networked' Replay, and even though it showed it in the guide it kept failing to 'find' it once I tried to play it. I rebooted the 'other' machine and tried again - it worked. Since you've already gone down that path I'm not sure what else you could try - except hitting the 'seach' key. Good luck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest giving each ReplayTV a unique IP address rather than having it assigned by the router. That cleared up a similar problem I had early on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could also try 243 zones and then pick an option that says something like "find other replays on my network" or something similar. I tried that and it worked for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Vestadawg, I am having similar problems. You can do a search on my user name Robkacz or kaczmarczyk to see what some people have suggested in my similar thread, although none of the solutions have worked for me so far.

Please PM and we can discuss or if anyone else has solved this mystery please PM as well. Vestadawg, if I ever figure this out I will be sure to PM you the solution!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Robkacz - May I politely suggest that you publicly post the solution (once found) rather than PMing it to Vestadawg? As you've seen people such as yourself often search for threads with solutions prior to opening new ones - if you post your solution, rather than keep it private, you can save some people some steps! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I think there are some networking folks who can help better than thus far, but I agree that assigning static IPs is the way to go.

Very possible that the IPs being assigned are somehow getting crossed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I lost the wireless connection between my replays a couple days ago but I could ping the bridges and the replays. I did a forced network connect on each and then rebooted the Replays. I also rebotted my router. Now all is well. I have fixed IPs on the replays and the bridges, but let DHCP assign IPs to the computers on the network (2 are hardwired and 2 are wireless).

Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.