AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to DTV:

We just hooked up a new Direct TV HD DVR. We ran the HDMI out from the DTV box to the TV - all OK. We then used Digital OPT out from the box to a Denon 3806 receiver. This was done so that we can watch TV with out firing up the receiver for casual TV viewing. We also have a second HDMI run to the TV from the Denon for our other sources (DVD,VDR,Blue-Ray).

Our problem is that we cannot get DD out of the DTV box via the OPT digital connection to the Denon. The Denon displays only 2 channel PCM in from the box and so it trys to use any of the 2 ch - SS matrix modes (DTS NE06, Dolby Pro Logic, etc.)

Does the DTV box automatically default to downmixed PCM for the OPT digital out if it is using HDMI for the video to the TV. I do not know the DTV model number, but it is a brand new glossy black with blue lighting on the front.

DD and DTS digital work fine in the Denon coming in from the DVD players via their HDMI cables. It is frustrating because I could not find any kind of technical setup menu in the DTV box, just the normal user type stuff.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Most devices have a menu item for changing output from PCM to AC-3 or bitstream. If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the HDMI between DVR and TV. Just make sure you have the HDMI running to the receiver connected to the circuit that has the passthrough that will allow signal through to the TV when the receiver is turned off . On my Onkyo, that's Video 1.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Have you enabled DD in the settings on the HR2X?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mjones73,

I tried vey hard to find some sort of menu where I could do this but did not have any luck. Is there some special way to access a more technically oriented settings menu in this receiver?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Make sure you have the correct input and output set. When I have a problem it's usually because I have the wrong output selected.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 /forum/post/14169968

mjones73,

I tried vey hard to find some sort of menu where I could do this but did not have any luck. Is there some special way to access a more technically oriented settings menu in this receiver?

Thanks,

From page 29 of the HR21 User Guide:
Quote:
Not all TV programs deliver 5.1 channel signals, and not all programs are broadcast using Dolby Digital

for DIRECTV programming. Programs using this high-quality audio standard are indicated by the Dolby

Digital in the program description in the Channel Banner (see page 15) and Guide (see page 17).

To change the Digital Audio format, press MENU, select Settings, then select Setup. Select Audio in the

left menu. Highlight the Dolby Digital tab and press SELECT, then follow the onscreen instructions and

select from the following options:

> On: Turns on Dolby Digital audio output. (Note: True Dolby Digital is only available via HDMI or

optical outputs.

> Off: Select this option to turn off Dolby Digital Audio output.

Dana

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
drbonbi,

Thanks, we got it working. When I asked my friend for his manual, he had given me one for a much earlier version receiver so the menus were not the same and we were not able to find the audio setup. Sorry for the late reply. It has been a busy last few days.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
If you ever find yourself needing a manual in the future, check Directv.com, they should have an updated manual on their site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts