AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built an HTPC using a 780G motherboard and Windows 7 Release Candidate. It's connected via HDMI to a 720p Samsung plasma (HP-T5054), which has a native resolution of 1365x768. My problem is that this resolution isn't available as an option in either Windows or the ATI control panel. What's the solution? I've actually used HTPCs for years and am not a total novice, but this is the first time that I've had to deal with the dreaded resolution issue as the displays I used in the past had native resolutions that were widely supported. Is Powerstrip still used in these cases?


PS: What on earth is pixel format? Does it matter which I choose?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Are you using the onboard 3200 or do you have a dedicated card? I just checked my ATI resolutions (3870card) on a 780 board in XP and it has 1360x768 available. With my Windows 7 HTPC I have an Nvidia 8600GT and I can set it to 1360x768 (which it comes up with automatically from the LCD display). Are you sure your plasma is 1365x768? I have an older 42" 720p plasma and the native resolution is 1280x720. I always thought the 1365 was only on LCDs but could very well be wrong. The only reason I mentioned it is that your system will generally go with what your HDTV shows it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
Yes there are now several 720p Plasma and LCD models that have 1366x768 as their native resolotion. And most of these units will not accept 1360 or 1366x768 over DVI,

HDMI or component since 1366x768 is not an ATSC TV standard resolution. Most of thes sets wll accept 1360 or 1366x768 over PC VGA connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am absolutely certain that the resolution is 1365x768 (which is even less common than 1366x768, I suppose). Sadly, it sounds like there is no way for me to make this work using HDMI. I wish I could use VGA, but I currently have a *long* HDMI cable routed through the ceiling to reach the receiver in the back of the room, so replacing it with VGA and RCA cables would be a major project. So it looks like I'm stuck with 1280x720.


Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply to my post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
You'll probably never get your native resolution to work pixel for pixel, but I have a 720p LG plasma with the same native as yours and it works very well at 1360x768 over hdmi. Windows chooses that resolution by default on my setup. I don't see why yours wouldn't be able to as well.


When I first got the tv I tried setting up custom resolutions in nvidia control panel to get the exact native resolution but my LG wouldn't let me use 1:1 pixel matching at any resolution within range of the native for some reason. So I settled on the 1360x768 with the tv in 16x9 mode and haven't had a reason to change it since. Text is crisp and no underscan. You definitely need to get it working as close to possible to native or your eyes are going to hurt everytime you use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot /forum/post/16951973


You'll probably never get your native resolution to work pixel for pixel, but I have a 720p LG plasma with the same native as yours and it works very well at 1360x768 over hdmi. Windows chooses that resolution by default on my setup. I don't see why yours wouldn't be able to as well.


When I first got the tv I tried setting up custom resolutions in nvidia control panel to get the exact native resolution but my LG wouldn't let me use 1:1 pixel matching at any resolution within range of the native for some reason. So I settled on the 1360x768 with the tv in 16x9 mode and haven't had a reason to change it since. Text is crisp and no underscan. You definitely need to get it working as close to possible to native or your eyes are going to hurt everytime you use it.

I'd certainly try 1360x768 if I could, but sadly the option isn't available to me. Whether this is because of my TV or my ATI video (the onboard 3200) I don't know.


The resolution isn't a big deal in Media Center, but on the desktop it's pretty painful. Text is so blurry that it's unreadable from normal viewing distance. Installing drivers and other maintenance work has been quite frustrating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,603 Posts
Are you using the generic windows 7 drivers for your video adapter or the dedicated one from the maker of the video adapter?


Not all function are available with the one that came with windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax /forum/post/16953177


Are you using the generic windows 7 drivers for your video adapter or the dedicated one from the maker of the video adapter?


Not all function are available with the one that came with windows.

I have the full driver with Catalyst control panel. The option just isn't there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
A quick view at your manual would have told you what resolution you should be trying to use. It says 1360 x 768 is optimum for HDMI input and that you will have 3 blank pixels on all corners of the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual /forum/post/0


"For the HP-T5054, PC text quality is optimum in WXGA mode (1360 x [email protected]).

(Three pixels on left, right, top and bottom will be grayed out at the resolution setting of [email protected] This is not a mechanical problem

but a result caused by the pixel difference between the standard resolution and the PDP panel.)"

Under the DTV or HDTV, whatever it's called, in your CCC will have a section where you can manually create your own resolution sizes. Use this to set 1360 x 768 if it isn't listed for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/16953462


A quick view at your manual would have told you what resolution you should be trying to use. It says 1360 x 768 is optimum for HDMI input and that you will have 3 blank pixels on all corners of the TV.


Under the DTV or HDTV, whatever it's called, in your CCC will have a section where you can manually create your own resolution sizes. Use this to set 1360 x 768 if it isn't listed for you.

The problem, as I mentioned, is that I can't *choose* the 1360x768 resolution. I have looked everywhere in CCC, and I don't see an option that allows me to set my own resolution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
I'm not at home to see my CCC, but Under advanced settings for ATI CCC you should have a HDTV tab. They'll be a section at the bottm where you can enter custom resolution and refresh rate. You may have to check one of the 'force resolution' buttons that is equal or higher resolution/refresh rate from above for it to fill below for you to then change it to a lower number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
The Picture Mode settings is set and saved separatly for each interface connection. So make sure it the mode setting for the HDMI connector you are using is set to PC mode when trying to send it 1360x768.

If you are using a receiver bypass it until you have everything correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/16954271


I'm not at home to see my CCC, but Under advanced settings for ATI CCC you should have a HDTV tab. They'll be a section at the bottm where you can enter custom resolution and refresh rate. You may have to check one of the 'force resolution' buttons that is equal or higher resolution/refresh rate from above for it to fill below for you to then change it to a lower number.

exactly. I'm not at my computer either


See renethx's post, post #18

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=ati


You have to double click the ATI logo, or right click on your desktop and select CCC.


then follow the picture to get to hdtv support, you have to set it to 720p first, then make a custom resolution. It will say that in the lower section of hdtv support. When you do a custom resolution, It'll also pop up a screen with 4 arrows to create a custom resolution.


But your issue sounds like scaling.. In hdtv support I would select 720p from the bottom portion of hdtv support(known resolutions your tv supports), then go to scaling options and tickle the bar left or right until it fits your screen.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top