AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Panasonic VIERA TC-L32E3 from the best buy sale going on last sunday, and I cant set the resolution on my computer to 1920x1080.. Windows isnt recognizing it and putting it only as a generic non pnp monitor...leaving the resolution at 1024x768. Ive updated every driver I can think of and still no go. Im using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, 460gtx, and hooking it up through vga. Any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's going to be hdmi or bust, VGA on panasonics won't give you the full native 1080p rez.

You have to also set the correct "HD size" inside the TV menu.

Be sure that overscan is disabled, or set to zero, within your graphics card control panel.

If all else fails while using hdmi, then set the graphics card's refresh rate to 59hz, this is what i had to do with my Panasonic. I would try this last.

Put your patience cap on cause it might take finding the right combination of tweaks within the graphics card control panel, and the TV menu.

If there is an E3 owner's thread then there may be some tips in there. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Using HDMI set to 1920 x 1080, the text looks horrible off my ATI 5450 card. Tried an nVidia 8600GT, same issue. VGA won't go above 1400 x *, so what the hell are we supposed to do? I never would have bought this thing if I had known the VGA port was useless. I have a Samsung and a cheap Westy right next to it running 1920 x 1080 over VGA just fine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What a POS. Just called Panasonic, who directed me to the manual specs which show the TV only supports up to 1366 x 768. Ridiculous. Why would choose you to make a product like that? Panasonic can burn in hell. I even have a $190 32" Westy that takes 1920 x 1080 over VGA. You can have this thing back panasonic.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschooldimo /forum/post/21253683

Just got my Panasonic VIERA TC-L32E3 from the best buy sale going on last sunday, and I cant set the resolution on my computer to 1920x1080.. Windows isnt recognizing it and putting it only as a generic non pnp monitor...leaving the resolution at 1024x768. Ive updated every driver I can think of and still no go. Im using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, 460gtx, and hooking it up through vga. Any help would be great. Thank you.

You have to make an "Edid override", here(read it through, there's an easy register "fix" somewhere, ~ last pages) :

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483

then in options "Full" and "Size 2", if i remember correctly( i don't have this TV anymore).

P.S Ahh, haven't spotted "Vga" part... Well, you're out of luck. Only 1024x786. Everything else will be upscaled. You have to use DVI-HDMI for 1080p.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH /forum/post/21287718

You have to use DVI-HDMI for 1080p.

Yes,

Most, but not all, LCD TV's have limited resolutions via VGA. Panasonic is hardly alone in this regard.

Even with the few TV's that accept 1080P over VGA, Hdmi still has the sharper picture.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH /forum/post/21287718

You have to make an "Edid override", here(read it through, there's an easy register "fix" somewhere, ~ last pages) :

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483

then in options "Full" and "Size 2", if i remember correctly( i don't have this TV anymore).

P.S Ahh, haven't spotted "Vga" part... Well, you're out of luck. Only 1024x786. Everything else will be upscaled. You have to use DVI-HDMI for 1080p.

Text looks terrible via HDMI. No amount of messing with settings in CCC fixes it either. There's no point in spending the extra money on a Panny when I can get sub $200 Westy that does what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 /forum/post/21287746

Yes,

Most, but not all, LCD TV's have limited resolutions via VGA. Panasonic is hardly alone in this regard.

The only 1080p TVs I have are Samsung (3) and Westy (2). So if those are the exception brands to the 1080p/VGA issue, I'll stick with them.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 /forum/post/21287746

Yes,

Yes, and it's strange. I mean a quality vga port won't skyrocket the price...

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 /forum/post/21287776

Text looks terrible via HDMI. No amount of messing with settings in CCC fixes it either. There's no point in spending the extra money on a Panny when I can get sub $200 Westy that does what I want.

You have AMD, this fix is only for Nvidia. I was able to achieve perfect 1:1 1080p in Windows 7, but this tv doesn't do 4:4:4 chroma, so i returned it.

Overall though, it's a great TV, i like it.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH /forum/post/21287783

Yes, and it's strange. I mean a quality vga port won't skyrocket the price...

My suspicion is that they don't want the added hassle of "monitor" support and all of the liabilities it would entail, such as more tech support and related returns/exchanges (all of this adds up to $$$ to those dreaded bean counters).

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 /forum/post/21287842

My suspicion is that they don't want the added hassle of "monitor" support and all of the liabilities it would entail, such as more tech support and related returns/exchanges (all of this adds up to $$$ to those dreaded bean counters).

Yeah, that could be it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked up a new panny TC-L32E3 and am using it as a Windows 7 PC monitor with great results. The text was a little fuzzy over HDMI until I figured out how to enable 1:1 pixel mapping on it. Like others have said, you have to go into the Picture menu->Aspect adjustments and set Screen format to "Full" and HD Size to "2". Then in windows make sure your resolution is set to 1920x1080. Next go into Catalyst CCC and check your scaling options. Mine was set to underscan by default. I adjusted the slider to 0% underscan and BAM! the windows desktop now goes to the bezel on all sides and the text looks sharp. Almost as good as my old dell 2405 IPS that it's replacing, which I didn't think was possible.

This panny E3 is flawless, 0 dead/stuck pixels, no backlight leakage, very uniform backlight overall, and nice dark blacks (but not as good as my panny plasma). Games are ridiculous on this thing compared to the 2405! I am super pleased with this purchase and I am very picky about my monitors (as I am sure everyone here on avsforum is also). Pick one up if you can still find one on sale somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same TV and have it hooked up from PC tom TV via HDMI, PC picks up the TV and shows it under "Screen Resolutions" but I can't get my PC monitor to show on the TV.

Below post looks like he got iy to work and with great resolution and i am hoping to do the same.

Any help will be so much appreciated!

I just picked up a new panny TC-L32E3 and am using it as a Windows 7 PC monitor with great results. The text was a little fuzzy over HDMI until I figured out how to enable 1:1 pixel mapping on it. Like others have said, you have to go into the Picture menu->Aspect adjustments and set Screen format to "Full" and HD Size to "2". Then in windows make sure your resolution is set to 1920x1080. Next go into Catalyst CCC and check your scaling options. Mine was set to underscan by default. I adjusted the slider to 0% underscan and BAM! the windows desktop now goes to the bezel on all sides and the text looks sharp. Almost as good as my old dell 2405 IPS that it's replacing, which I didn't think was possible.

This panny E3 is flawless, 0 dead/stuck pixels, no backlight leakage, very uniform backlight overall, and nice dark blacks (but not as good as my panny plasma). Games are ridiculous on this thing compared to the 2405! I am super pleased with this purchase and I am very picky about my monitors (as I am sure everyone here on avsforum is also). Pick one up if you can still find one on sale somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts