AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a HTPC with a Projector for about 5 years. I currently have a Sanyo PLV-70 powered by a 2.4ghz desktop with a Radeon 9800Pro. The projector is fed using a VGA breakout (just due to the fact that I never bought a 40ft DVI cable to replace the VGA).

I have played with many different setups and programs over the last few years and have finally given up the good fight and have selected MCE2005 due to its ease of use.

I have recently started down the path to whole house a/v distribution (more on that in a later thread) and wanted to see how I might interact (without yet investing) with the system using a secondary monitor off of my video card so that I don't have to fire up the projector to select a album that is burned on the computer. The LCD I am using to test is the Dell 1901FD (19" FP Display). I will purchase a specific LCD for this purpose if I can work out the kinks.

So "The Kinks":

I have researched existing threads so as not to waste forum members time and have discovered I am definitely not alone. I have tried using clone, but we all know that the 1901FP is native 1280x1024 and the PLV-70 projector is 1366x768 rez and that XP doesn't support different resolutions using clone.

So let's try extended desktop. Not bad because we have separate resolutions but the displays don't mirror each other which is critical as I don't want to be in the business of shifting programs from one screen to the other.

Wow that didn't work, how about Ultramon's mirroring function? Not bad but doesn’t support (if I understand correctly) some of the hardware accelerations that are critical to a good picture.

I am willing to purchase a new video card (6600??) or a new secondary display (one that has native 1366x768 but doesn't cost $$$$) but I want ot be sure before I buy that it will do exactly what I want.

My end goal is to be able to control the MCE2005 computer from something other than the projector and would prefer not to have to have another computer to do so.

Please help.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
you should be able to use clone - I am, with the main moniter at 1600 x 1280, and my other lcd at 1024 x 768. just go into advanced on ati panel, set max res for 2nd moniter - worked for me anyway. But I'm just running XP home, SP1 - MCE may be a different animal. also had to go to different catalyst drivers to get the 2nd moniter to work - for me was an issue with ATI drivers, not XP.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I ended up simply setting up my projector and VGA monitor with their correct resolutions and then defining a hotkey to switch the primary display. I don't need them both active at once, like you I just wanted to be able to get to the HTPC without having the projector on.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have this same problem - primary display is my projector at 720P. Secondary is a standard 1024x768 monitor.

If I clone, I get distorted display (hard to read due to resizing) on secondary output. I want both displays to show same thing so I can do HTPC maintenance on the secondary monitor without having to fire up the projector.

I purchased ultramon and haven't had any luck with it either.

Is anyone saying they have two different aspect ratio monitors working using clone mode? I don't see how this can work given the area needed to be displayed is functionally a different size unless I somehow get "black bars" on the secondary display.

All help appreciated!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the same problem...(9800se) I have been unsuccessful using clone or any other option for that matter. Hope new versions of software willl fix it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use two monitors 24/7, but my solution wouldn't work for you I don't think. I'm using 'DualView'. Before I bought my hdtv (I've been at this for a while), I used clone even though my screen and my tv had different resolutions. The smaller screen just didn't show the whole desktop but your view of it moved around. I'm sure there is a better explanation, but I'm not feeling great and not thinking clearly (loooong night last night).

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Looks like your only choice is to purchase a LCD WS Monitor w/ the same native resolution & refresh rate as your PJ. That way you get full control w/ guaranteed clone.

But w/ a Nvidia card, you may be stuck w/ Full Screen Renderless w/c will kill any multitasking during any film/video. (If that matters to you)...mike...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I find that clone mode using a resolution that both can sync on, preferably using the PJ resolution, is a reasonable compromise. My PJ is 1280x720 and my LCD monitor is 1280x1024. I normally keep things at 1280x720. Therefore, any display I turn on will work independently. If I decide to get picky when I use the LCD monitor resolution I switch it to its native 1280x1024.

I use both displays for PC and video stuff. The extended monitor definition would be a hassle if I have to keep moving icons around.

This issue is quite annoying. Is there anything out there that let's you turn on any or both displays independently or together, run at its respective native resolutions, and not have to force you to configure software applications to launch in one display or the other?

Would installing another video card in the machine for the second display be a good solution?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Righ now I use my 17" LCD WS monitor as a secondary and my 65" 1080i RPTV as primary mainly because 3D apps and games run on the primary only. This is extended desktop.

1280x768 and 1776x1000i is not clone mode friendly to say the least.

I dragged the task bar/icons to the secondary and I do all my PC functions there. When I do, I just set the LCD to primary the do my thing since all the dialog boxes appear in the primary. Then reverse the proceedure and I'm back in business. I used to use clone mode w/ the switching trick but this way is much more convinient.

With the XP limitation of clone mode not supporting 2 display w/ different resolutions, I don't see why many dually users don't do this. No switching and no need of icons/task bar on your main viewing screen. You should try it sometime.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I don't use MCE but have a similar setup with a plasma and use a small LCD for playing music. If you are not set on using MCE for music I would recommend using JRiver Media Center for this purpose. You could use it exclusively for music and run the full-screen TheaterView interface on your secondary monitor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also switch displays; it seemed that with both displays enabled, the video was less smooth?(I have both set at 800x600).....at first I used a hotkey to do it, then set up my remote to do it...which is very convenient. Since you probably don't need both at once(I certainly have no use for it yet, but I can see how I would), switching makes a lot of sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.