AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Harmony 659 and I'm having trouble updating it. I made all the changes I wanted via the Harmony software on our laptop and when I connect the remote and try to update it, it won't take - the progress bar just says 0% complete and won't go any farther. I called Harmony about this and they told me that it's because I have a wireless network connection and not a hardwired one. He said that he would escalate the problem to a level 2 tech support person who would call me, but I never heard back. Does anyone know what I can do to get this working again?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my Harmony 720. My connection is hardwired into my cable modem, and I tried USB and network adapter both.

I'm curious if others have not been able to update his remote? My PC WILL NOT download the update file (Update.EZHex), either manually to my desktop through the web or through the software. It worked fine the first night I got it; I updated the remote several times with no problems. Then it suddenly stopped updating, and hasn't worked since. It goes to the update status screen, then stays at 0% and never moves. The only way I got the remote working at all was to have tech support email me the update file. When I click logout after waiting awhile, the status meter jumps up as if it were updating, then the software closes and nothing happens. Here is my system and what I have tried:

Dell Laptop

No virus/spyware protection, Windows firewall turned off

I've tried with Firefox / IE

I've tried uninstalling the Harmony software and reinstalling

Scanned for Spyware/Adware

Defragged harddrive (I was really reaching)

Firmware updates to the remote no problem

Communication check with remote works no problem

The update file gets to about the 400-480K mark, then just sits there. I actually let it sit all night at one point and it never proceeded further. I have no images in my setup.

I like the remote, but for now I have to do updates at work and email the file home. Real PITA!!! If anyone has experienced this or has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I am at my wits end. Level 2 tech support was sympathetic, but basically said it was a problem with my system. I'm really stuck here. Thanks in advance for any help.

Frustrated in KC

·
Registered
169 Posts
Try this and see if it works. For starters, download this update:
http://www.mostlycrafts.com/harmony.zip

Once you have that downloaded, remove the batteries from your remote. Press and hold the off button while you plug in the usb cable to the remote (make sure it is already plugged into your computer). It should say safe mode on the screen. Once it does, try to run the update you just downloaded. This typically happens when you have an older firmware, and Harmony doesn't have the required update (3.0) before you can update directly to 4.x. IF this is what happened with you, then this should fix it. I used to install harmony's on a pretty regular basis and had this happen all of a sudden when the new software was rolled out. Tech support could not figure it out for months. I got one specific tech one day that actually had an idea on the issue and emailed me the required file. Hopefully this works for you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone else had mentioned the battery thing, and when I tried it, it worked
. Now I'm having trouble with the TV programming. I changed some things around and now when I hit watch TV, the remote sends a signal to everything like it should, but it switches video inputs twice on my TV - the first time it sets the TV to the right input and the second time it switches the TV back to the old input I was using but am not anymore. I'm thinking a fragment of the old programming stayed after the update. Is there a way to completely zero out the remote and just download fresh?

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick.s /forum/post/0

Someone else had mentioned the battery thing, and when I tried it, it worked
. Now I'm having trouble with the TV programming. I changed some things around and now when I hit watch TV, the remote sends a signal to everything like it should, but it switches video inputs twice on my TV - the first time it sets the TV to the right input and the second time it switches the TV back to the old input I was using but am not anymore. I'm thinking a fragment of the old programming stayed after the update. Is there a way to completely zero out the remote and just download fresh?

Log into your software and run through the setup again for watch tv under activities. When it is done, it should give you a list of all the commands it is sending when you press watch tv. You will probably see an extra code. There are three options for you, 1) the remote is setup properly, 2) it is setup properly, but you would like to make some changes, and 3) no it is not setup properly. Select option 2 and run through the setup again. Afterwards, this time it will give you the option to remove the unwanted code. Remove it, update the remote, and it should work ok.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovemd /forum/post/0

Log into your software and run through the setup again for watch tv under activities. When it is done, it should give you a list of all the commands it is sending when you press watch tv. You will probably see an extra code. There are three options for you, 1) the remote is setup properly, 2) it is setup properly, but you would like to make some changes, and 3) no it is not setup properly. Select option 2 and run through the setup again. Afterwards, this time it will give you the option to remove the unwanted code. Remove it, update the remote, and it should work ok.

Thanks for the tip, but I did that already - the second code isn't there, which is why I couldn't find a way to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.