AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently swapped a new fanless Powercolor 512mb Radeon HD 4650 for my old Diamond 256mb HD 2600xt and now cannot wake up the computer with inputs from the keyboard, mouse or remote, once I put it in standby mode - I have to hit the power button on the front of the case. I've read about some other Radeon 4600 cards having similar problems in the Newegg customer reviews.

I have CCC v. 8.12 installed and used Driver Cleaner Pro to clear old drivers out before installing it.

Is there something that can be done, aside from seeing if CCC v. 9.1, 9.2, 9.5, etc.... cures the problem, to take care of this?

Presently, I've just been hooking up the computer via HDMI adaptor, to the front HDMI plug on my Hitachi plasma, but have also tried it to a 15" LCD monitor and there's no difference with the standby issue. I intend to connect it to my Denon AVR 887 receiver via HDMI for both audio and video, but my current POS Joytech HDMI switch won't switch (I have 3 HDMI components going in to the TV, only two HDMI inputs on the receiver and no easy way, short of cutting holes in my drywall, to run a second HDMI cable to my TV, so I need a switch) and replacements at Monoprice are on backorder for at least another week, but I'll eventually connect it all with a Monoprice 4-in-1 HDMI switch.

One other thing, I'm within a couple of days of my 30 day Newegg return period running out on the Powercolor card. I want to stick with a Radeon 4600 series card for the combination of video processing, gaming ability and short length (the 4650 squeezes in my case with

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I haven't been able to figure out a solution to this problem, so I e-mailed tech support at PowerColor and do you know what they had the audacity to claim? They said my problems were caused by my PSU, claiming that I have to have a minimum 400w PSU to run their card. This 400w requirement, however, does not appear anywhere in the specs for this card either on their website or in their Newegg product description; it is buried deep in the generic ATI 4600 series manual one can download from PowerColor's website.

Am I out of line for thinking that this is the biggest load of horse manure I've ever heard from any tech support agent? How on earth would a (hypothetically speaking) marginal power supply have any effect on the ability of a graphics card to wake up, along with the rest of the system, from standby mode? It's not like my single hard drive, single optical drive and little bitty 1.6gHz e2140 are going to be drawing even half of the PSU's rated watts. People are running 4600 series cards on OEM 300w and 350w PSU's in their Dells without problems. No way is my PSU insufficient.

Funny thing is, my Antec puts out more current and is a stronger PSU than every single 400w or 450w PSU on the market and puts out more current than all but a small handful of 500w PSU's. It certainly could have been called a 400w or 450w PSU by many company's standards.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've had this issue with my Asus 4670. It is an HDMI/handshake issue. For me it only manifests itself if the htpc wakes while the AVR/TV is OFF (which will happen since it wakes to do recordings when I'm not home). What happens is that it simply displays a black screen with a blinking cursor. Have to power off/on the htpc. When those devices are on, it wakes up just fine.

The possible solutions (in order of increasing expense):

1. Try the "EDID Fix", but that is Vista only I believe

2. See if Catalyst 9.1 has fixed it (don't hold your breath).

3. Try a different video card (May or may not fix the issue)

4. Buy a DVI Detective Plus ($~100) as this will fix the issue as it will make the HTPC always see a device connected and on.

Good luck, as I've had the same issue for a long time and just keep going back to component output via my 2600xt instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts