Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have my new HTPC set up, and I'm wondering if anyone is running into the same problem.

MCE2005 with all updates/security patches/etc

Nvidia 6600GT with latest MCE video drivers

TT 2.1.1 w/Nvidia decoder

AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU ("venice" core)

1gig DDR RAM

So the problem I'm having is I get A TON of skipped frames when trying to watch HD video. Specifically, 1280x720 .avi's, .mpegs, and .ts files. I'm not

I also get the skipped frames when using WMP10.

I normally use FFDShow or NVPP, but I'm not sure what TT does with HD video, so I set both post processers in TT to "none."

Anyone here able to watch HD encoded movies on an AMD 3000 (or slower?) system?

I'm wondering if this is a software issue? I have the DivX 6 for DivX, Nvidia for Mpeg 2, and WMP10 for WMA. However, I don't have a specific decoder for Xvid. Do you think that could be the problem? Is there a recommended Xvid decoder that performs fastest?

Finally, if I have TT set to use FFDshow, is there a way I can prevent TT from using it on content with a resolution of 1280x720 or greater?

Thanks.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Rest assured it is a software issue (that could include drivers), unless something is severely malfunctioning on the hardware level.

You may need an Xvid decoder if the .avi files contain video which has been re-encoded with that codec. You can get that at xvid.org. A lot of HD .avi's use WMV within the .avi container instead. The other types of files will use the Nvidia codec as they are all mpeg2 based.

Try un-installing FFDShow as a test. If it is in the chain at 2x resize, for example, it could cause this on HD only, due to the greater number of pixels that need to be processed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like something driver-wise or something like that as Ben_Tech says. I can play 1080i .ts files with no problems on both an Athlon XP3200+ (Radeon 9800 Pro) and an Athlon64 3000+ (Radeon X800) both with 1Gb DDR400.

I did think I had a problem using MPC but it was using ffdshow to rescale my HD movies, once I turned it off it was fine :)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I have an Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle and 512MB of RAM and I have no problems watching HD files using Theatertek 2.1.1. I use an ATI X800XL AIW video card with Catalyst 5.7 drivers.

Theatertek disables ffdshow for HD material so you don't have to manually disable it. I'm hoping I can use it in future releases.

Ffdshow contains codecs decoding and encoding nearly all media files including XviD. If you have ffdshow installed on your system, you don't need to install additional codecs.

Have you tried watching HD in overlay mode? Under the video tab in the configuration window you can change the video output settings separately for DVD's, High-Def, and Media.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.