Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I started my dedicated ht room last week. So far I have framed the walls and mounted the recessed light cans. My probem is wiring the switches. I capable of hooking up to the service panel, but run the cable to the switches and continue to the next out confusses me. I could use some help and maybe the diagram will help.

I'm going to run a 12-2, 20 amp circuit for the lights and duplex outlets that are not used by the HT equipment. The HT stuff will be a seperate line at a later time. The service panel is in the upper right hand corner. It has to connect 3 duplex recepticle that are labeled O and two different switch panels. 1 switch box is at the top of the stair well and it's a 3way switch. At the bottom of the stairs is another switch box that has the other 3way and two dimmer switches. The two dimmer switches will operate two zones of three recessed lights.

If someone could give me some help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
651 Posts
There are several ways you could route the wire for your circuit. Attached below is a schematic of one option I think you could use...

(Disclaimer: I am not an electrician.
)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcgrath
That works. What did you do to draw that? That looks like a lot of work if done wire by wire.
I used Microsoft Visio.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scottj0007,

Thanks so much for taking the time to build the map. I just picked up a wiring book from HD over the weekend and have learned a lot already. Your drawing makes me feel more comfortable. The only problem with your sketch and what I'm stuck on is the duplex recepticles. You have one to many on the left of the panel. My idea was to have one left of the service panel and then make the run to the light switches and continue with more duplexes from there. I'm just stuck on how to tie in the duplex recep. from the 3 gang light switch box. What do you think? Thanks a bunch. MP

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just wire into the power in the switch box. See the diagram below. Your switch box is going to get pretty crowded with all the wires, connectors, and dimmers in a single box. Dimmers especially take up quite a bit of space. I haven't done the actual fill calculations, but I would guess you will want to use the biggest 3-gang box you can find.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again ScottJ0007. I am kind of worried about space in the gang box. I can't get a deep one because the wall is up against a stairwell. There must be another way. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.