AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience creating a cantilever mount for a large TV? I am purchasing a 70" DLP weighing about 120lbs. I would like to elevate it off the floor by approx 30" and do not want to put it in a cabinet. Any help out there would be great.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
120lbs on a cantilever. Wow, good luck.

Are you thinking about building or buying? If you are building, I think you will need diagonal braces, or some kind of support for the front edge (so it really isn't a cantilever then, huh). If you want to get fancy, you could always use aircarft cable to suspend the front edge from the ceiling.

Also, remember to overbuild whatever you decide on. Someone is bound to lean on the TV or do something that you can't even image right now to add load to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It can be done, but it needs careful engineering. I have not done this myself but I have seen a 100+ gallon aquarium (1000 lbs or more) cantilevered off of a reinforced stud wall in a basement. Looked just like the aquarium was suspended in mid air. Very cool.

The trick is to have the TV against a stud wall that has empty space behind, like an unfinished part of the basement for example. The stud wall was made with 2x6 lumber, strongly attached to the floor (bolts) and ceiling. A set of 2x6s then extend out horizontally at 6 inch spacing into the room to support the object. The same studs extend an equal distance back into the empty room behind. From there the ends of the studs are tied diagonally back to the bottom of the wall and can be connected straight up to the ceiling as well. The weight of the object being supported is then transferred to the stud wall and the connection points behind.

Let me know if all this is not clear. Bottom line, it can be done and it looks awesome when built and all trimmed out.

Phil

Ottawa, Canada

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Phil, That gave me an idea of what I need to do. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks Again. Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.