Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Could anyone provide advice for bringing back the LT-150 if I bring it back through customs from my delivery address in the U.S.? I'm just wondering what I would pay... I guess any combination of 7%GST or 11%PST or 15%HST plus possibly duty... is the LT-150 manufactured in the US?

Maybe someone who was able to order through Borderfree could tell me what they were charged.

Thanks for any help,

Miles

Doh! spelling mistake in the Subject...

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would never suggest doing anything illegal or improper, but they certainly can't charge you an import fee for returning home with your business projector you brought to the states with you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I am in the same boat. I remember seeing that all computers should not be charged duty regardless of where manufactured. I am not sure, although the poster was, that the LT150 should be included under the general definition of a computer given that is an accessory or peripheral. You would definitly be up for GST/PST. As for claiming you are returning with your business computer, if you haven't filled out the little green card on your way down to the USA you might have some credibility problems with those folks at the border.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bob - I'll always be there for you (I love anyone who claims to be cheaper than I am). I'm not licensed in Florida, only Michigan and Tennessee (strange combination, I'll admit, but you never know where life is going to take ya.)

Miles - I really find it hard to believe you'll be given a hard time coming across the border with an open box electronic device. If it makes you feel better, mail the empty box back to Canada from the States (or just throw it away before you get to the border). Does everyone declare every used electonic device they bring with them into the U.S. to avoid paying a tariff when the come back? I want to make it clear that I have absolutely no special knowledge in this area, but I know when I've gone up to Canada, I have never declared my laptop on the way in to avoid paying a tariff when I returned to the States. As the ole' disclaimer goes, your mileage may vary, but I just can't fathom it being that big a deal - especialy when dealing with a portable business device.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I declared my LT150 when I brought it back and was only charged the taxes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.