AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working on my power supply I found a area that was wet on the circuit board around the capacitors. I pulled the capacitors and they look OK and seem to be OK, the only other place I could think the fluid came from is one of the CRT's was leaking.

When these caps leak what does the fluid look like? How often do they fail or leak? If I replace them are there better ones out there? Where should I buy them?

Thanks, Deron.

· Registered
4,018 Posts
Caps can leak like that. The fluid is usually a slight brownish color. I replace caps constantly. It's the largest parts stock I have. If in doubt, replace it anyway. I usually go with the same value, but a higher voltage rating when I replace. Make sure you clean all the fluid off.

Marc

· Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marc

This was a clear fluid, makes me think it might of come from my leaking tube. Are there caps that have clear fluid, so far all I have heard is they leak a brown fluid.

Thanks, Deron.

· Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike

I know the tube was leaking, just do not know if the coolant got on to the circuit board in the PS. I had cleaned up the leaking coolant a long time ago, so I do not remember if it got on to the outside of the PS.

Deron.

· Registered
733 Posts
Deron;

It sounds to me like that is probably not from a cap. The stuff that is used in caps is generally an oil. Usually it is mineral or silicon based and if the caps are old enough it can contain PCB. As already stated, it has a color to it.

· Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will cut open a cap that I have laying around that is similar to the ones I have in my power supply, if the fluid looks different then I'm not going to worry.

I would hate to start replacing the caps as I have heard there are a bunch of caps out there that have bad fluid in them ruining all kinds of mother boards.

Deron.

· Registered
254 Posts
On the troublesome cap's on the motherboards (I had a few!) you could see the problem by looking at the cap's - most ones nowadays has a cut in their top, looking like a "K" or similar to allow for internal expansion to avoid bad explosions.

The ones on the motherboards looked like they where about to explode (in various stages) i.e. not flat on their top, as they should be.

These electrolytic cap's where manufactured perhaps 2-5 years ago, and where low cost ones. I doubt you would have any of those.

Cap's breaks sometimes anyway, so optical inspection (and perhaps measurement) are never wrong.

- Micael

· Registered
1,325 Posts
Are you using 105 Degree ratings or the 85 degree ones. I just bought some from Digi-Key to do an Ampro smps. None were leaking but high hours/heat area's are gonna get the 105 degree high hour caps for sure.

What are the best high temp caps out there?

Size constraints in the SMPS made me choose the same manufacturer Nichicon PW series but couldn,t find the PL series

Any clues?

David

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.