AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm in the process of refoaming the 10" woofers in my Design Acoustic D-6 speakers. I thought while I was at it I would replace the crossover components which are over 30 years old.

It seems that it's next to impossible to get new parts that exactly match the old and I'm looking for some help and advice. Would a 6mfd 240V capacitor work as a replacement for a 6mfd 50V one?

Would a 10 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor work as a replacement for a 10 Ohm 5W resistor?

Any help would be appreciated.:)

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Yes. You probably don't need to worry about the resistors. Renewing the capacitors would probably be indicated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Capacitors and Resistors

Thanks for the reply, but so I'm certain that I understand it let me rephrase the question in terms of speaker crossovers.

When I'm substituting a new capacitor, as long as the MFD rating is the same the voltage can be higher?

When substituting a resistor, as long as the Ohm rating is the same the wattage rating can be a bit higher?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but so I'm certain that I understand it let me rephrase the question in terms of speaker crossovers.

When I'm substituting a new capacitor, as long as the MFD rating is the same the voltage can be higher?

When substituting a resistor, as long as the Ohm rating is the same the wattage rating can be a bit higher?

Thanks.

Yes and Yes.

Like FMW said resistors do not go bad with time, so it is very likely the old ones are perfectly fine. However resistors are also cheap and I can see your reasoning if you wish to just replace everything while you're at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Capacitors and Resistors

Hi,
Thank you both so much. I love these speakers and can't wait to get them back sounding as new....thanks to your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts