AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a few caps and coils lying around and they don't seem to be exactly the correct values for the 2 way 2nd order crossover that I want to build. I know that you can add coils and add caps to increase the total value but that is not the issue. I have coil values between .22 and .34 mhy and cap values of 5.6 to 16 microfarads. Is there any way to calculate what crossover point I would achieve with a combination of one cap and one coil?

Is there any calc online or formula out there that allows me to enter a cap value and a coil value and will calculate x-over frequency?

Best regards,

Erik

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
WinISD has one under the 'Calculators' tab. If you don't have the alpha release, (mine is the 0.50a7 release), yours may not have it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentlemen. Synthesis, that is exactly what I want to do..... The other way around.

I am familiar with the normal way of calculating values for crossover points.

I have one cap and one coil of values x and y. I want to figure out the crossover frequency attained when using these two values of components. I know that normally you have a desired crossover point and then you purchase the components but is there any way to figure out crossover frequency with cap and coil values? What if the cap and coil values don't match up exactly?..... Say more than 10% in one direction on the cap and more than 10% in the other direction on the coil?

I thought that there might be a way to do this with the equations on this page:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp

L1 (mHy) = (1000 x Impedance) / (6.283 x Crossover Frequency)

C1 (µfd) = 1,000,000 / (6.283 x Impedance x Crossover Frequency)

L2 = L1 x 1.414

C2 = C1 x .707

(look down at the calculator)

Maybe using algebra to switch stuff around. But with a 2nd order crossover I can't get it to relate both L2 and C2 in one equation. Follow me???

Thank you,

Erik

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.