AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

DTS-MA 7.1

Quote:
Audio Commentary with director Joe Johnston, cinematographer Shelly Johnson and editor Jeffrey Ford

Outfitting a Hero

The Assembly Begins

Howling Commandos

Heightened Technology

The Transformation

Behind the Skull

Captain America's Origins

Deleted Scenes

Marvel One Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer

The Avengers animated series trailer

·
Registered
164 Posts
Was never a big fan of Capt. A, but I liked his movie. Grab this one for sure. Weaving was an awesome Red Skull.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I liked this one a lot. Hoping for a steelbook...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Watched this one last night on Blu-ray.

I missed it in theaters but being a Marvel Comics fan in my yewt' and being pretty taken with the previews, I had high hopes for this one. For the most part, it succeeds in being a very good standard superhero original movie, one I'd probably say just tops Thor as being the best of this years' comics-based flicks. Unlike many other recent super hero movies, especially the more recent ones, there's not any major dead spots through the movie where you want to hit the FF button on your remote and for a change, the villain is actually a worthy first-timer, something Iron Man, Thor, Spiderman 1, Batman Begins and many other notable genre films lacked.

For the die-hard Marvel fan, there's the occasional well-informed nod to Marvel's golden age comics (the unnamed Android briefly seen in a glass tube at the science expo is actually the original Human Torch/Vision). The revisionist explanation for the Cosmic Cube (called the "Tesseract" here) tying it to the Norse Gods (ie: Thor) is clever even if it's power is a bit ill-defined (it appears to just be a mythological energizer battery).

All the leads are well-cast although I thought Tommy Lee Jones was a bit too restrained as Col. Phillips. Hugo Weaving makes for a fairly faithful Red Skull. Probably one of the more remarkable parts of this movie is how Chris Evens was digitally manipulated to portray both a skinny, small Steve Rogers and bulked up Captain America.

The Blu-ray presentation is solid and apparently faithful to the source. There is a softness to many scenes, especially those with loads of CGI effects going on, but the colors, depth of black (without crush) overall looks great. The audio mix has plenty of big *BOOM CRASH* bass where required and the dialog is mostly clear an upfront throughout the movie, an issue I've found to be a problem on several other Blu-ray releases of recent movies lately.

Enjoyable popcorn flick that doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence and highly recommended.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I thought it was great. Not sure how it could've been made much better. I just wish the Red Skull would've hanged around a little longer, but fine otherwise. Cap's whole story is mostly told now, so I don't really see the need for a sequel.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The movie is very soft, almost painful to watch.

It looks almost as bad as an NCIS episode.

I don't think it's the transfer, it was made like this to look like "film". At least, like some directors who are really embracing the 20th century think that film should look.

This was shot with HD cameras. Too bad, it could have been spectacular if the image had not been destroyed on purpose.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robena /forum/post/21087496

The movie is very soft, almost painful to watch.

It looks almost as bad as an NCIS episode.

I don't think it's the transfer, it was made like this to look like "film". At least, like some directors who are really embracing the 20th century think that film should look.

This was shot with HD cameras. Too bad, it could have been spectacular if the image had not been destroyed on purpose.

I saw it in 3D and it was quite bad (the 3D that is, film itself was ok.)

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I saw it in 2D and yes, there was just a bit of "motion-blur" in places (indicative of digital capture), but its slightly soft visual-style did not bring NCIS to my mind.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My brother-in-law bought it and had it playing, when was over seeing my nephew this morning.

Didn't really get a chance to examine the PQ, I'm not buying the movie regardless, but the CGI seemed to

stand out quite a bit more, then I remember theatrically.

The only thing that troubled me with the theatrical showing, was some very obvious green screen work.

I found the Evans head replacement to be generally pretty well done, a few shots aside.

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's already available? I must own this immediately.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke /forum/post/21087829

I found the Evans head replacement to be generally pretty well done, a few shots aside.

What do you mean? They didn't use a stand in for his body and CGI his head on. They filmed him and CGI'd his body to shrink it..

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
After watching this. Audio gets 4.5 out of 5 for me, although im more of a video guy.

On my projector I thought the video was extremely good, and also would give it 4-4.5, it is soft, but that was director intent, it is also very clear and some scenes looked very vibrant, def alot better then green lantern. I cant imagine people having any issue with the pq. Unless they want a razor sharp picture which was not how it was filmed.

As far as the movie, umm somewhat entertaining in parts and i try to watch these movies and take them for what they are but it was not really a good movie in anyway. IMO.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.