AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has been asked before, and I have looked through the AVS archives, but now I'm more confused ( a lot of technical answers which I didn't understand)

I would like formost to have good quality video captures (taken from Dish Network Satellite via s-video)

secondly I would like the files to be compressed automatically.

If possible to get a good quality capture, and then compressed down as most caps will not be of high motion videos (mostly of judge judy , and seinfeld, simpsons, TV shows, and family videos)

I hope to cap A LOT so I don't have the time to manually compress each file.

And a batch compression of many files (20-30 per week) would take days .

I am buying the computer new so I am not stuck to a configuration . But I figure that I can afford a AMD 1600XP, or Pentium 4 1.6 (well at least a 1GHz Celeron)

Any ways, please suggest what I should buy and what software that I should use.

Everyone recommends DScalar so I guess the card should be compatible with that.

Thank you for your help

feel free to email me
[email protected]

or post here (emails I get to see quicker)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
cgott42 you may went to take look at new WinTV-PVR 250

No Dscaler dosen't work with Creative Labs Blaster card beside that you have to re-encode the video being it dose cap at 44.1K audio.

One thing other thing I would like ponit out don't cound doing this with a TV time scheduler being Dish Networks, DirecTV, Satellite Receiver, Digital Cable/Cable De-scrambler set-top have to be manually record unless there all on same channel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a new member to the forum and I've been looking to setup a HTPC with similar functionality to what you're looking to do. My research has pointed me in the following direction...

Hauppauge WinTV Radio Card

- antenna input (built in TV tuner)

- s-video input

- line in

Showshifter (Personal Video Recorder (PVR))

- this software provides the GUI, compression, etc.

Digiguide (Electronic Program Guide (EPG))

- this software provides Showshifter with a TV guide.

Now I haven't gotten this setup running yet, but I have put my money where my mouth is. The TV Capture Card was delivered yesterday. I have downloaded the trial versions of the software. All it requires now is for me to do my thing.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've also read on here about people having audio not in synch with video.

What would be the least hassle capture card, which would support dscaler and allow me to schedule cap

(I will be setting my Dish Network receiver to turn to the stations at the appropriate time, so it will just be capturing s-video, and the tv tuner is not going to be used.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SHS

you may went to take look at new WinTV-PVR 250
Any clue on availability for this card? I can't find anybody online with it in stock and I'd really like to get my hands on one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.