AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a video card with SVideo out.

Is there a cable (not converter) to get SVideo from the VGA connector ?

Alternatively, I have a Pinnacle DC10+ capture card. Can this be used to somehow output SVideo?

The capture card has SVideo in and out connectors.

I want to be able to output SVideo to watch DVDs (probably using WinDVD) on my TV and possibly a pj.

Thanks !

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
HTPC goes into PJ via VGA port for best progressive quality. Svideo is interlaced only and for interlaced TV and not best for digital PJ or CRT PJ. Don't get me wrong these PJ can do Svideo but best is straight VGA into these PJ for superb DVD imaging via DVD-ROM.

Cheapest way to get Svideo out is to get a Radeon or Geforce video card with Svideo out (can run as little as $50). You can't use TV cards with Svideo in to output Svideo out. You can buy DVD decoder cards (Hollywood+) for about $50 but don't expect great VGA output from these. For Svideo out and hardware DVD coding, this card is the best. For software DVD, Radeon video card is best with better video quality than the Hollywood + cards.

You can buy external box that will convert VGA to Svideo but it'll cost you around $100-$700 depending on resolution supported and quality of output: http://www.svideotorca.com/vgatotv.html . Most of these are for business use so has remote and is more expensive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.