AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in using dTV with my satellite hookup. The problem is that I'm using Sky Digital in the UK, and the digibox only has an RGB output via SCART (and a composite output, which I don't want to use for quality reasons...), and no S-Video. Are there any dTV-compatible cards out there that would allow me to feed it RGB from the digibox's SCART output?

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update: I ended up finding a place that sells an RGB to S-Video converter:

http://www.brian.darroch.btinternet.co.uk/

but the price of the converter is double the cost of the capture card! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Also, it would be nice if the capture card had the RGB input so I wouldn't lose that quality advantage in the conversion.

I really want to give dTV a try (I'm a C++ programmer, so I'm also interested in contributing), so I'll probably end up purchasing this if nobody knows of a better solution.

[This message has been edited by adnix (edited 09-18-2000).]

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The interesting thing, is that phillips has a RGB to video proccessor chip availible, annd I think I have seen it on some VGA cards.... But I cannot remember where. I had downloaded the chip info, once, in attempt to 'upgrade' the parts associated with the chip in attept to find a way to get better input quality.

The chip was being used for comp/s-video input, but it had unused RGB inputs, I believe.

I hope I am not sending you off on a wild goose-chase here.

Try starting with the 'video capture' philips based chips on the inputs of the ASUS high-end cards....

Pardon me, is not TRUE RGB already 'line doubled'? If not, then the scart RGB is not REALLY an RGB output. Are you shure that the system does not have a chroma-luma set of outputs? which is really the S-Video output? (same thing, different name)

------------------

---Place Signature Here---

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 09-18-2000).]

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

Hi Guys,

Any luck finding these cards since?

I would stay away from too low-grade converters which could harm the signal. Now that progressive DVD players using Faroudja technology have hit the mainstream price range, we have to address the issue of scaling their progressive output with our HTPCs. There's gotta be a good one out there.

Steve Grimm found one which he is now selling second-hand in the AV Science Classifieds, but you've got to know how to write code to use it...

It's called the Matrox Meteor II/MultiChannel and here is Steve's Ad .

Are there any easier cards to use yet which retain the image quality? I'll be feeding it some darn good signal, and would like to preserve what I've painstakingly gained.

Cheers,

------------------

Brett

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
There's a simple answer to this - SCART RGB to s-video converter which you can get from lektropacks for 90 quid including P&P and next day delivery. There are a few other similar boxes I have seen advertised in mags such as "What video and hifi" at similar or slightly lower price.

I've got 1 plugged into my Nokia ondigital box, delivering s-video direct to projector (very smooth), or into ATI AIW card (tends to jitter slightly, but gives me TIVO & digital recording). It's a BIG improvement over composite video (which was best option till I got the converter) - quality is now as good as a very good TV, but the screen is 8 feet diag.

------------------

Its not what you do - its the way that you do it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.