AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I did a search for capture cards for this forum, and most of the postings are a bit dated. I have a Showstopper with a 120gb drive, and I've used the old drive to experiment with extract_rtv. extract_rtv worked great, but I didn't get to play around with the mpegs much cause I deleted them.

Here's what I'm wondering. Say I want to make vcds, or svcds of various tv series I watch, and of course burn them to disc. But say I don't want the hassle of taking out the drive everytime I want to create these (s)vcds. Would using a mid-high range capture card be a solution? I mean would that be able to capture to the vcd or svcd standard, from the Replay unit? Or would I need to do further editing, besides cutting the commercials? I would want to use the s-video output if possible, so am I looking at a high range capture card?

I haven't had much time to play around with the replay mpegs, but I think it's a bit of a hassle to remove the drive everytime I want to create the vcds.

So my question is are there good enough capture cards that will give similar results as extracting the replay mpegs and editing them myself?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Here is a laydown-

if you just extract_tv- 1 min for the 1 hour episode (and you replay TV is shut down, so cant record during that time), than 1 min demux and upsample to 44.1kHz, 1 min remux, burn to SVCD (or whatever convention name is for nonstandard xvcd, mini-DVD, whatever as long as you use nero svcd template, with compliance turned off, this will play in most DVD players).

if you do capture - it is 1 hour for 1 hour episode- (and you cant watch anything else on replay) using a standard VCD or SVCD template, no doctoring, burn to respective template, create a compliant VCD or SVCD. When capturing occasionally you get lip sinc problems and need to demux anyway, YMMV.

So installing a removable HDD enclosure to skip painfull step of openning the cover every time (helps to keep temperature inside the case lower) seems like the way to go. I had mixed blessings with external enclosures, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.