Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to ask this.

What is the best software to use to capture a video tape and burn a dvd? I have some home made video-camera tapes I want to make dvd's of and I have the PVR 250 pci capture card in my PC. Not sure what software would be best for this. Not sure how to make the dvd video look good everywhere.

thanx in advance for any input,

:)

P.S. Since its video, how can I be sure the 2:2 will look good on digital displays (avoid combing)? Is there a way to record it best, or am I at the mercy of the playback devices 2:2 pulldown?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what your question means. The card you have has a hardware Mpeg encoder and captures (in real time) at whatever resolution and bitrate you choose. The native software supplied with the card (WinTV2000) will accomplish this. To create DVD's you would select one of the DVD profiles (as opposed to SVCD or VCD or CVD, etc) and the correct input method (S-Video, composite video, or even RF ch3 depending on your connection method). The card also ships with an authoring program that can create the DVD and burn it. I would start this way and see if the results satisfy you.

If not, then there are options to correct for different problems, but you have to define the problem to select the solution. Creating a DVD is a multistep process. You have to Capture, Edit, Author, and Burn. Some steps can be skipped or combined within an application but each needs to be done and problems can occur at each step.

Standard definition seems to display poorly on digital displays and the best you can probably do is to pick a standard DVD bitrate. Post processing by the player or display will make all the difference in quality. My Infocus 4805 does a wonderfull job on video tape presentations while my 17 LCD monitor is poor. Again picture tweaking fall into the category of defining the exact problem then seeking a solution.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanx. I am lazy and didn't look into it enough. I have loaded up wintv2000 and it works good enough for now. I have an LG 4163 dvd burner so burning the dvd should work fine.

People have said there is better capturing software out there, some even free, so I was curious about that. Any ideas?

thanx

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is descaler a better capture program than the WinTV2000 that came with the PVR 250?

thanx

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I dn't think descaler will work with a hardware encoder card (new versions might ?). Most programs similar to descaler want to work with avi files in real time, not mpegs that are delayed through an encoder.

I have the same burner. Drive works great, supplied software that came with drive failed miserably. I almost took the drive back until I tried some freeware products. I capture with WinTvCap (command line background recorder). I edit with VideoReDo. I author with Ulead (supplied with PVR250) and save as ISO (My Ulead version only supports the drive to 6X); then burn the ISO with DVDdecrypter or DeepBurner.

Lipsync problems with the final DVD are common with tape captures. A Time Base Corrector or good editing program (like VideoReDo) can clean up the transfers. Tape generates lots of errors that only show up at the end of the process.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, Maybe I'll use the TBC NR of my JVC 7800 deck. I captured using the S-video output but I think I didn't use the NR. I'll try it again.

thanx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.