AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying an entry level Nikon DSLR (D3300 or D5300), and using it for recording my videos. I want to go one step above recording to SD, but I'm not ready to capture and color correct RAW video files. I currently have an Avermedia Live Gamer HD which is an HDMI encoder that can record at 1080p30 at 60Mbps. If I were to use the Clean HDMI out on one of the above mentioned cameras, would the captured video be flat like uncompressed video is, or would it be colorful like the files that the camera creates are?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Nikon D5300 Review and why DSLRs are dead for video:
Quote:
As of today, DSLR video is over. Dead. Kaput!

It may be resurrected who knows? But right now the future is with mirrorless, 4K, 10bit codecs such as ProRes, powerful raw and dedicated cinema cameras.

The whole raison d’être of DSLRs as affordable, accessible filmmaking tool is just not there anymore, because we have all of the above at consumer prices.

Even if DSLRs get 4K which has been the case with the Canon 1D C, the photographic giants just don’t seem to bother putting any other video features in to sweeten the deal. The 1D C was barely unchanged from the 1D X whereas the mirrorless GH4 is based around a camera that was optimised for video from day one.

The lack of video features and 4K will put DSLRs at a very significant disadvantage on performance relative to the best mirrorless cameras this year.

As for stills I’d much rather choose the Olympus OM-D E-M1. It packs far more technology into a much nicer body than the D5300 and it has a soul.

To give you an idea of how antiquated the D5300 form factor is you still can’t change the aperture from the camera whilst live-view mode is engaged. Why on Earth not?

There are a few solid features that are useful. That higher-than-AVCHD bitrate of 38Mbit in 1080/60p prevents the image from breaking up quite so much on sweeping pans and scenes with complicated movement. The camera uses a variable bitrate which scales up and down depending on the demands of the image, never quite dropping the ball in terms of image quality. It’s an impressive codec for $799, better than the one Sony uses on the flagship A7R.

But in the cold light of day for $1999 (maybe less by the time final pricing is announced), Panasonic offer us 4K video. At $799 Nikon offer us a Baby Photo Mode. Why bother with this crap any more? Really? At $2000 Nikon give us moire, aliasing and no 1080/60p and at $6000 Nikon offer us their worst video quality with the D4 – is that their upgrade path? What a mess!

If you do get the D5300, be prepared to sell it in 3 months time for something better.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/12111/nikon-d5300-review

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998  /t/1525903/capturing-video-with-a-dslr#post_24569908

I am thinking of buying an entry level Nikon DSLR (D3300 or D5300), and using it for recording my videos. I want to go one step above recording to SD, but I'm not ready to capture and color correct RAW video files. I currently have an Avermedia Live Gamer HD which is an HDMI encoder that can record at 1080p30 at 60Mbps. If I were to use the Clean HDMI out on one of the above mentioned cameras, would the captured video be flat like uncompressed video is, or would it be colorful like the files that the camera creates are?

It is true if DSLR consumer cameras do not keep up and introduce 4K video they will miss some of the market,but IMO nothing looks close to the quality of video filmed on a DSLR,as i have only used Canon DSLRs i dont know about Nikon ones,but remember get good video from a DSLR is much harder than from a camcorder,run and gun type filming far easier with cam,i cant answer your question regarding

the Avermedia Live Gamer HD but am interested in the answer.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
With 1'' sensors in consumer camcorders now, S35 sensors in semi pro camcorders, the mirrorless options mentioned above, point & shoots with 1-1.5'' sensors, it makes no sense to buy a DSLR to use for video as its primary purpose. Definitely a secondary purpose, it remains useful and hopefully we will see 4K in affordable full-frame DSLRs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower  /t/1525903/capturing-video-with-a-dslr#post_24571971

With 1'' sensors in consumer camcorders now, S35 sensors in semi pro camcorders, the mirrorless options mentioned above, point & shoots with 1-1.5'' sensors, it makes no sense to buy a DSLR to use for video as its primary purpose. Definitely a secondary purpose, it remains useful and hopefully we will see 4K in affordable full-frame DSLRs.
That's the thing... My primary use is currently video, but I also REALLY wanna learn DSLR photography. And the shallow depth of field shots that you can get with a DSLR are just amazing. I would get something like a Panasonic GH3, but that's more than entry level DSLR, and good lenses for it also cost way more than Nikon or Canon.

I would actually prefer to have an APS-C sensor camcorder with swappable lenses (Like the Sony VG30) , but all of the solutions like that that I've found are several thousand.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I don't see how an OVF and flipping mirror box would make a video look better than a large sensor mirrorless camera with an OLED EVF. The last DSLR I purchased was the Pentax K-7 almost five years ago and I have not shot a video with it in four years. After using cameras with EVF to shoot video I am amazed people still buy DSLRs to shoot video unless it's mainly used for stills.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998  /t/1525903/capturing-video-with-a-dslr#post_24572027

That's the thing... My primary use is currently video, but I also REALLY wanna learn DSLR photography. And the shallow depth of field shots that you can get with a DSLR are just amazing. I would get something like a Panasonic GH3, but that's more than entry level DSLR, and good lenses for it also cost way more than Nikon or Canon.

I would actually prefer to have an APS-C sensor camcorder with swappable lenses (Like the Sony VG30) , but all of the solutions like that that I've found are several thousand.
The new Sony a6000 APS-C camera with EVF shoots great video and stills.
Quote:
The Sony A600 is the best Sony consumer camera yet for video. A Nikon D5300 in a mirrorless body, with far more features, the image quality is closer to the FS700 in 1080p than to a NEX 7 or A5000. The pristine sharp EVF, a magnified focus assist which can be activated whilst recording (rare!), peaking, zebra, 16:9 screen and of course the mirrorless form factor. This is arguably the best current ‘cheap’ camera for video, de-throning the GH2 and GH3. At just $650 it is an absolute bargain.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/12428/surprise-sony-alpha-a6000-video-mode-huge-improvement

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1998  /t/1525903/capturing-video-with-a-dslr#post_24572027

Yeah go with Sony if you want APS-C. Nikon and Canon's solutions are good if you have existing compatible lenses. For me, I want to stick with Nikon F-mount lenses, and I am more interested in still photography than video these days (but still like both), so a 4K version of the D610 would be ideal for me. If still photography and shallow DOF (bokeh) are really what you want to do primarily, I would be going full-frame Nikon or Canon with a 70-200 f/2.8

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi Jeremy - I might be interested in the $798 (with kit lens) A6000 if it had a mic jack and could shoot for more than 30 minutes continuously, like a camcorder.

If you want a "camcorder-like" interchangeable lens still camera, and can't afford a GH3, your next best option is the $648 (with kit lens) Panasonic G6 .

Like the GH3, it produces terrific still and video images, has a mic jack with manual audio gain control and on-screen audio meters, you can flip the screen forward so you can see yourself for on-camera work and it records for hours continuously, like a camcorder, for events, plays, speeches and other events.

It gives up the GH3's headphone jack, Quicktime .MOV codec, high bit rates and all-metal body - but it gains three features the GH3 lacks: focus peaking, NFC and an intervalometer.

Here is what this camera can do:

Narrative:

Music Video

Travel Video

Short Documentary

Slow Motion/Sports

And it's a pretty good still camera too: https://www.flickr.com/groups/lumix-g6/pool/

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
"would the captured video be flat like uncompressed video is, or would it be colorful like the files that the camera creates are?" - not related.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Well a little late to the game on this thread but I was using the GH3 and switched from Nikon, but I found myself not liking the menu system or the still shots all that much with the GH3 and since I do mostly photography I sold it too a friend who does production videos. Right now I feel like there isn't a camera that does both equally well! Sony has gotten a ton better using their new Bionz processor in their new cameras, and their video looks on par with the GH3 but the still shots to me look way too over saturated in colors and the EVF isn't all that great, the A5000 their was way too much flickering going on and I still prefer a optical view finder.

Well I picked up a D5300 yesterday and the still shots are amazing the video is decent not nearly as good as the GH3 or Sony, but very good from a DSLR. I shoot mostly kids sports and like the Nikon long range lenses but would love the speed of the sony, the only thing I find lacking on the Nikon is the LV mode, as it is too slow, but frankly I still like using a optical view finder.

Jogiba: Franky a lot of people found that review to be a tad on the offensive side and coming from more of a Videographer perspective it is hugely misleading, why in the hell would some one need 4K now, the gear for viewing it is way too much and the files take up a huge amount of space. I am sure it will eventually become main stream down the road, but 1080p/60p is plenty of great quality video for most consumers who are actually looking for quality, which is ironic since most people are shooting photos and videos with smart phones!

"If you do get the D5300, be prepared to sell it in 3 months time for something better."

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
Jogiba: Franky a lot of people found that review to be a tad on the offensive side and coming from more of a Videographer perspective it is hugely misleading, why in the hell would some one need 4K now, the gear for viewing it is way too much and the files take up a huge amount of space. I am sure it will eventually become main stream down the road, but 1080p/60p is plenty of great quality video for most consumers who are actually looking for quality, which is ironic since most people are shooting photos and videos with smart phones! biggrin.gif

Whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/1525903/capturing-video-with-a-dslr#post_24728739

..... why in the hell would some one need 4K now, the gear for viewing it is way too much and the files take up a huge amount of space. .......
The interest from me is about improved editing due to more data.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman  /t/1525903/capturing-video-with-a-dslr#post_24729186

.....bsprague: Understandable are you into editing and making movies? I am currently using Final Cut Pro, and I might want to check out the new GH4 or other 4K cameras then, so I might eat crow on my comments above about 4K. After seeing reading about this:....

More like shooting a lot of clips and making the occasional personal video. Certainly not documentaries or real "movies".

4K choices are few for now. There seems to be two you can buy in the USA this week. Certainly more are coming. For now, I'm not buying one, but seem to have become invested in the Panasonic M43 system with a GX7 body and three lenses. It is therefore logical that I end up with a Panasonic model that does 4K, but not necessarily the GH4. For me, it will be at least a year before the camera budget heals.

Many of the Vimeo hosted clip examples posted here are downloadable in the original 4K. You can use them to see what your computer and software configuration will do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I haven't read through but wanted to say I'm a photographer with a film producer boyfriend. I have the Nikon D7000. My boyfriend is happy with this purchase because he tells me they shoot movies with this camera often. We bought a mic and monfrotto tripod to shoot video.

Now ill go back and read and see how lame my response is

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
bsprague: I am with you on the waiting, as there will be a ton of choices for 4K cameras over the next couple of years.

megdagooh: Great camera and I am sorry I sold my D7000 last year, using the D5300 with almost as good as results but missing the functionality of the D7000.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
Here is a question for jogiba and anyone else: The new Sony A6000 which I looked at yesterday was very appealing on price and it was excellent at focusing fast on video, the review above didn't really go over stills that much with the camera but I am tempted to give it a whirl just curious on what type of lenses I can use with it, is it Sony Only? I am currently using a 70mm-300mm Nikon lens for sporting events and it does great shots, just curious if the Sony can do this? On another note, one thing I love about the Olympus and Panasonic was the interchangeable lenses on the Mirrorless cameras.
The Sony a6000 is an APS-C mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses . Here is a like to B&H Sony E mount APS-C lenses :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Mirrorless-Camera-Lenses/ci/17912/N/4196380428+4099560915/

My last DSLR purchase was the Pentax K-7 in 2009 and I now have zero interest in purchasing another DSLR with flipping mirror and OVF after using mirrorless cameras like the full frame Sony VG900 and cinema 4K Panasonic GH4.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
jogiba: All depends on what your doing, the Pentax K-7 is a nice camera, and I have no interest hoping on the 4K bandwagon yet as I have been a Guinea pig in the past always to jump too quickly. In your case since it seems like your doing more video than stills, so it seems very rationale. Now too me DSLRs still are a tad better on stills, I think Mirror less will surpass DSLRs on both fronts eventually. If I stick with the D5300 it will most likely be my last one as well.

Thanks for the video, I will check it out!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We all like different things,i owned a mirrorless GH2 and did not like it at all,M & A worse than any cam or camera i have ever had,colour awful yellowy greens on natural country side,i far prefer my HF-G30 and EOS M which is a mini DSLR.But i also have a Pana FZ150 ,awful my old HV30 was far sharper and better colour.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts