Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellow mac users...

I'm looking around for the best way at this time (preferably with as little recompression as possible) to edit the commercials out of my MPEG2 files on Mac OSX. Ideally I'd like the finished segments to be all rejoined back together as one file when finished. I don't have a DVD burner yet, so this is mostly to save HD space, with the hope of moving the files off to DVD in the future.

Basically it looks like my only choice is PixeDV (included with CaptyDVD?) Is this software worth the money?

Too bad iMovie can't edit MPEG2 without converting it to DV format first.

Ok, thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's working for me. You may want to follow the link in this post for other opinions.

Keep in mind that Pixela has since brought out an update that makes things a little easier (on the CaptyDVD compilation/burning end.) PixeDV has not been updated from the version I got, as far as I know.

You could wait until edited:OfficeMax has one of their CenDyne DVD-R/RW burner sales (reboxed Pioneer DVR-105) which they do roughly once a month or so.

I do want to warn you that even after cutting commercials out, the hard disk(s) still fill up rapidly.:D

·
Registered
431 Posts
On the MacReplayTV forum, DaveC says that he's not sure if the $150 LaCie standalone Capty software comes with the MPEG cutter (i.e., PixeDV). Ouch, if true. (I got mine when I bought the $400 ADS Instant DVD for Mac hardware/software bundle, before the LaCie product was available.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the ADS Instant DVD product to try the software on ReplayTV mpegs. However, I find that PixeDV cannot open any of the replayTV mpegs. I've checked the permissions on the files and that does not seem to be the problem. If you've used this product successfully, was there anything special you needed to do to imort the replayTV files into PixeDV?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I (and others) have found that they need to have a resource fork, i.e., they need to be opened by a OS 9 or "Classic" app first, at which point PixeDV has no trouble opening them.

[No thumbnail image, right?]

·
Registered
3 Posts
John,

Thanks for your reply. Now that I can open the replayTV mpegs, this software makes editing and burning DVDs from them pretty easy.

It doesn't seem to be the resource fork that keeps PixeDV from opening the replayTV files. If I change the file creator from mpg to mpg2 it opens just fine. I found an OSX app from versiontracker that does the trick.

Ken

·
Registered
731 Posts
Has anyone tried CaptyDVD 2 yet? I'm curious if it's any faster [or if the interface has improved at all].

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like it's in Japanese only right now...?

About the only feature I want to see is the removal of the artificial 2 hours of video per dvd limit. You should be about to fit 5x30 minute shows (4 gigs of data) onto one DVD. Oh well, time will tell.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I *think* the app itself is multilingual, but the installer is all Japanese. Just click the obvious buttons, you shouldn't have any trouble. :)

The download is freely available, but I don't think your 1.x serial number will work with the new version, and I can't seem to find a legit way to get the new version. I guess we'll just have to wait for a fully English-ized, available for sale, version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.