AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking more about my upgrade path, and realized that the place I listen to music the most is my Car. I've been having trouble finding quality information about quality auto sound ( should be easy to upgrade from my boring and boomy Honda Accord stock stereo), and was wondering if any of my fellow audio-nerds had some advice on where to go for good information. The stuff I've found seems geared towards putting 20" subs in back of your lowered truck...

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

ps. I notices the famous HSU sells a car sub cone... Interesting...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i have a 1995 nissan maxima. it came with a clarion take deck and blown panasonic speakers. I went to circuit city and got an Alpine CD head unit, four polk 365s, 1 MTX 6150 amp and 1 Alpine SWR1040D 10" R-series sub. Very happy with the system. Ran about $1500 after discounts. So far, its the best system I have. You'll go deaf before the speakers blow. In any case, that should give you an idea of what it could cost to put in a system that puts out the full dynamic range of music. No, my trunk does not rattle, and no, I didnt opt for component speakers. The sound from the 2 way polk are awesome, but there is very little imaging, since they are in the footwells of my car. All the components do is give you better imaging, because you get seperate tweeters and woofers. Its not more expensive to buy, but it is to install. Hope that gives you some idea. Good place to compare car audio product details is www.crutchfield.com

I personally would definitely recommend alpine for the head unit, its got the best built in amp, and DSP modes, especially the MX mode.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I am a n00b myself. And i've also listened to a few speaker brands so far..

and this is what i think.

Alpine X Series. Something I can listen to. Nothing mind blowing though. but for 450 cdn after haggling price.. You can't complain. it comes with a tweeter, a mid rnge driver and a cross over (they're called components)

MB Quartsz PS series. For a after haggled price of 800 cdn. I like what what I heard. It plays wind instruments has a nice bit of airyness to them. Which i liked. the mids were nice and clear as well. the subs.. i'd just go with alpine 10" R series subs. MB quartz has some nice subs as well..

JL Audio.. uh.. i hated what i heard from these speakers. I am hoping that it's just how they're setup in store. The bass was all too boomy. and mids were colored. the highs were bright! It was everything that i didn't wanted in how a speaker sounds. But the amps are solid as from what i heard.

there are nice head units there that can delay sounds to control where you want the soundstage to image. ie.. move the soundstage to image right infront of the driver or passenger... the soundstage is small, yeahl. but atleast they image infront of wherever you are.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
JL Audio subs and amps are awesome. I haven't heard there seperates though. Personally their subs are the best I've heard yet, and I've been through a bunch. Very musical and not just boom boom, but they can if thats what you want. Look at the W7's, awesome subs.

Alpine has good speakers to. I have a Alpine deck that is awesome. Sounds great.

MB Quart makes great seperates.

Diamond Audio has great seperates.

Image Dynamics, Dynaudio, kicker.

There's as many car audio companies as there is ht.

Stay away from Rockford Fosgate, whatever you do. Complete and udder crap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.