AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and a complete novice on car audio systems. I have been told that the guys/gals here are (and I quote) "Some of the smartest car audio people on the planet".

so, here is my question - can I hook up a sony cd changer to my pioneer head unit? can I use the existing wiring? (if not) - are there adapters to do what I need? Where would I look for these adapters, and what are they called?

history behind my question: I just got a new-to-me car. It has a pioneer head unit, and has a pioneer cd changer in the trunk. The cd changer is fubar. It wouldn't respond at all, I took it apart and cleaned up the circuit boards. The motor responds a bit now, but still won't eject the magazine, nor will it play any of the discs that are in there.

I have found a cd changer that I would like. It is a Sony MP3 cd changer.

I can give you model number/links to the exact head unit and cd changer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
can I hook up a sony cd changer to my pioneer head unit?

No, not directly.

Quote:
can I use the existing wiring? (if not) - are there adapters to do what I need?

There used to be adapters back in the day. First you need to find out what bus system your headunit and cd changers use.

Model numbers would help, but I'd be willing to be it'll cost you more for a system bus converter (if one is even available) than it would to pickup a used Pioneer changer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Head Unit -

DEH P3900MP

CD Changer wanted:

CDX757MX

I would be happy to go with a new Pioneer cd changer if I could find one that plays MP3's. This sony CD changer is the only one that I have found that plays MP3's.

If it is going to be a rather costly/involved project, I'd rather just get an iPod. i can get the cd changer for about $100. A new iPod will cost me about $250. If I can get in under $200 all together, then it's worth it to me....if not, it's iPod time. [yes, I actually DON'T own an iPod!]

Thanks for the quick response

·
Registered
408 Posts
Forget the whole CD changer thing I say. It is an incredibly cumbersome solution if you are after MP3s, I went through it on my previous car, it sucks. With Sony CD changer no less. Even if you manage to kludge a Sony changer to a Pioneer head, which is not a likely thing given proprietary nature of their control buses. Get an iPod interface for your head. My current car came with an in-dash 6-CD changer, the thing sits unused ever since I installed an iPod interface. I got an 80GB Classic that holds my entire music collection. The interface cost me about $100, and is a single-cable solution that charges the iPod and lets me control it from either head or steering wheel. If your head has an aux input, though, you could go for a much cheaper option of connecting iPod via its headphone jack - but that means a separate charger and no convenient control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts