AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading these forums for days now. I have read enough now that i am reading the same stuff again, as most information is repeated several times throughout the forum. Incredible Resource by the way. I feel extremely educated and comfortable when I go to purchase my new TV in a few months.

One thing I have not found good info that I have been looking for is some information on displaying "Motion". I work in the Information Technology industry and am also an avid PC gamer. I know when I shopped and purchased my first Flat Panel at home for my PC, the "talk" was that they werent good for gaming because they show "ghosts" or "trailers" or "shadows".

Is this something I have to worry about with Televisions also?

Am i going to experience this "ghosting" or "shadows" when I watch Car Chases, or Space Ships flying around, or fast action sports?

I am purchasing a new TV in 2-3 months and unless something hits me hard in the head and changes my mind somehow, I am STRONGLY leaning toward the Samsung DLP 50". I would like to get one of the 2004 models with the HD3 chip and 7 color wheel.

Thanks for your input

Warren

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have seen fast motion images get blocky on Sony LCD XBR units and to a lesser, but still significant degree, DLP. Sometimes, the moving images leave a trail of blocks, so yes this is a problem.

Some of the more informed posters here indicate that much of this effect is due to improper connection or poor signal so apparantly this can be minimized.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MNBugeater
I am purchasing a new TV in 2-3 months and unless something hits me hard in the head and changes my mind somehow, I am STRONGLY leaning toward the Samsung DLP 50". I would like to get one of the 2004 models with the HD3 chip and 7 color wheel.

Warren
In your reading have you encountered Arun Gupta's "HLN Guide"? If not you might want to check it out by clicking on the "Popular" link at the bottom of my message. Then go to the Samsung section and click on the "Guide" thread.

That thread would also be a good place to ask about motion problems. Your catchy subject line may not catch the fish you are looking for. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MNBugeater
Is this something I have to worry about with Televisions also?

Am i going to experience this "ghosting" or "shadows" when I watch Car Chases, or Space Ships flying around, or fast action sports?
I think you may also wish to consider black level questions with the current flat screen technologies from that "space ships" comment. I'm mostly into science fiction and space scenes is where black level issues - even on CRT sets - can really get your ire. I took me a number of calibration tries to get black level in space scenes to a point which makes me happy (on my CRT RPTP, no less) and until I got it perfect it irked me to no end. DLP and LCD would have ended up with a bullet in the middle of the screens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.