AVS Forum banner

car rental and california visit

981 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  head_unit 
#1 ·
hi I'm based in the uk and I'm planning a road trip to California from San Francisco to Los Angeles on the coast road I believe is route 1 that hugs the coast line.

Can I ask please on this route where would be the best places to stay I'm ok for San Francisco and Los Angeles but the coast road I haven't a clue.

I can spend three to four days on this route 1 coast road but just need to stay somewhere nice not cheap but say $100 a night (oops is that cheap).

if it means going off route then as long as its not to far I'm ok with that, also where are the good places to visit on this route and nice food to savour.

another thing is car rental who do you recommend and who to avoid and the loopholes like satnav/fuel deals/extra insurance. is the Hyundai Santa Fe

any good ? thanks for any information or recommendations

#2 ·
I lived in southern and northern California for over 40 years. I have traveled PCH many times, it is my favorite road in the whole world. I would suggest one night in Santa Cruz, one night in San Simeon to spend the day at Hearst Castle and one night in Morro Bay and one night in Ventura. I lived in both Santa Cruz and Ventura, both are spectacular cities. I don't have any particular motels to recommend since I did most of my traveling in an RV staying in RV parks. In Monterey there is a fantastic aquarium and in Santa Cruz there is a great surfing museum. I live in Florida now so I am jealous.

Reactions: Panson and paf
#5 · (Edited)
I share Seilerbird's enthusiasm and sightseeing selections.

Good selection of wine at Safeway grocery stores in the San Francisco area. Helpful wine personnel.

Sardine Factory, Monterey for upscale dining.

Hearst Castle is a joy with its extremely knowledgeable tour guides. Grand Rooms Tour if your time is limited. Must reads are David Niven's books for Hollywood and Hearst Castle tales--Bring On The Empty Horses, The Moon's A Balloon.

Next time, paf, you might consider the northward drive, San Francisco to Newport, Oregon. My wife and I met a lovely British couple at The Inn at the Tides, Bodega Bay, who spent several vacations driving back and forth between Bodega Bay, CA and Newport, OR.

Have fun. Cheers.

Reactions: paf
#6 ·
I recommend Silvercar. Slightly more expensive, but you can at least find 10-15% coupons. All the cars have navigation built in and android auto, and also are super nice for a rental. Because Audi. Picking up and dropping off is a breeze. No extra charge for tolls, they just bill you the actual cost.

I've only used them once, but it was out of San Francisco and I drove the opposite direction, up the coast to Oregon. Had an A4, it was great.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions, I have sorted the rental over here in the uk. A deal was made with the cost of the trip, accommodation / flight / car hire/ the firm is hertz and its a full size SUV,

Hearst Castle looks good and San Simeon we also like the look of Carmel and Monterey we have accommodation in San Francisco/ Long Island/ and Las Vegas, but we've yet to sort the accommodation for the trip down

the coast road.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions, I have sorted the rental over here in the uk. A deal was made with the cost of the trip, accommodation / flight / car hire/ the firm is hertz and its a full size SUV,

Hearst Castle looks good and San Simeon we also like the look of Carmel and Monterey we have accommodation in San Francisco/ Long Island/ and Las Vegas, but we've yet to sort the accommodation for the trip down the coast road.
"17 Mile Drive" 'tween Monterey and Carmel is a must.

A Carmel walkaround, if you have time.

Most accommodations in Carmel are bad value IMO. Monterey's better. But if money's no object, The Inn at Spanish Bay/Pebble Beach Resorts.

A decent highlight link here. Santa Barbara is a favorite of mine.

https://www.enterprise.com/en/road-trips/drive-from-san-francisco-to-los-angeles.html

Have fun. Happy trails.

#10 ·
Two decent places to stay near San Luis Obispo (about halfway between SF and LA) are the Apple Farm Inn and the Madonna Inn. I'm not sure if you're traveling alone or with SO, but the Apple Farm Inn is great, but rates might be in the $150 range. Nice restaurant there also. I have also heard from friends that they like the Madonna Inn.

Santa Barbara also has a lot of nice places to stay. I would check tripadvisor.com for other suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.