AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is a home audio forum, but I don't know where else to turn. That, and it seems that people here seem to know quite a bit collectively about most things.

I just had some new speakers installed in my 06 Scion XB. Two pairs of 6.5 inch Alpine SPS-170A and one pair of 4 inch Pioneer TS-G1040R speakers. I know that these are not top of the line, but I am floored at how thin these sound in my car. Seems that the stock speakers sounded much fuller. There's just really not bass at all. I can hear some lower frequencies, but overall it just sounds like it's in a tin can. Wife works at Best Buy, so I got a great discount on the speakers and the install. Two things I wonder--maybe a crappy install? maybe speakers need some time to burn-in?

Anybody have any ideas what's wrong or suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
1. join a car audio site

2. get an amp - stock head unit does not have enough power. Its much easier to drive a cheap crappy paper thin stock speaker than an aftermarket speaker.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lewdog, I worked in car audio install for 8 years. your problem is actually an easy fix. Take your car back to BB and ask them to make sure the speakers are wired in phase. An out of phase speaker will kill the bass response. That was one of the things I always taught my new installers to make sure was right.

·
Registered
557 Posts
2nd the phase error. Adding a sub wouldnt hurt either once the speakers are all in phase.

YMMV.

Regards, Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.