AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i wanna build my own sub but the problem is i wont be able to build a good box because im not very good with with wood. So if i wanna build a 2 10/12 inch woofer for my home theater could i just use a car box and will it sound good. it might not look that pretty being carpet but i care more about sound than looks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Chances are good that the car box will be undersized for home use. Maybe you could find a 15" premade box and find a 12" sub that would work. Just get a box without the speaker hole being cut out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if i wanted to build a box im assuming sealed is easier. Would i need inside support or anything? Are there any box building tutorials?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sealed will require EQ, big or small...

Ported uses the tune of the port/cabinet to bring up the low end, but there's your tune, hope ya like it type of thing... though it's cheaper this way since PVC pipe costs less than a parametric eq unit.

Car boxes are designed for cars, which is a 20 cubic foot volume so yes they are small and lack the low end because 'cabin gain' at 9-10 dB almost offsets -12 dB rolloff of sealed boxes.

1. price out a good sub

2. model an enclosure for it

3. find whatever is closest to that enclosure, whether you had a cabinet shop make it, some car stereo place, you found a big wood box (lol, okay don't do that) or you decided to man up and try a little woodworking...

All other variants where you save a day of cutting or a few bucks for the moment will lead to mediocre results that you will probably grow to hate with time.

IMO save up and do it right, save up longer and buy something decent - something along those lines.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
There must be a ga-zillion tutorials out there on the web...

what specific help are you looking for? These guys here can give you a cut list to bring to HD once you pick a driver. HD will cut the wood for you to spec.

All you really need is a screw gun some screws and some glue. The some paint to finish it.

As for building a port, thats also pretty simple if you let it be

Cut a hole in the box and put a piece of PVC pipe or cardboard sonotube in the hole.

First things first....

1.budget

2. room size

3. amplifier

4. use

5. box size you can live with

Heres a basic "how to"
http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/Build/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/14183048

First things first....

1.budget

2. room size

3. amplifier

4. use

5. box size you can live with

1.250-350

2.10x12

3.Idk the amp yet but my reciever is a xr-55

4.Mainly music, games, movies

5. as long as its out of my way idk.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Does the 250-300 budget have to include the amp? Or is that going to be a separate purchase? I think you shold go to the elemental designs website and pick up the 13kv.2 that is on sale right now.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

Then shop for a plate amp on the site and see if anything looks good to you. If not pop on over to Parts express and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/14184355

Does the 250-300 budget have to include the amp? Or is that going to be a separate purchase? I think you shold go to the elemental designs website and pick up the 13kv.2 that is on sale right now.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

Then shop for a plate amp on the site and see if anything looks good to you. If not pop on over to Parts express and see what they have to offer.

Im looking on that site now and it needs to include an amp. I have one from my 10 inch jbl sub now but idk how good it is. Im not really looking to buy now just to get an idea on how much it is and what i need and how to build it. Prob buy it all in a few months.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5012lover /forum/post/14184374

Im looking on that site now and it needs to include an amp. I have one from my 10 inch jbl sub now but idk how good it is. Im not really looking to buy now just to get an idea on how much it is and what i need and how to build it. Prob buy it all in a few months.

Save up for a Behringer EP2500. Just so down the road you're basically futureproof for any single or even dual woofer sub.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Download and learn a program called WinISD

It is free, and when you enter the driver's specifications you can model boxes and see the predicted output v. frequency. It is something you will learn, it's an order :p Don't just take some recipe for a 4 inch port thats 22 inches long. See for yourself what 22 inches does. Or 23 or 28. Or no ports at all with EQ.

You'll be glad you did if you're at all interested in this stuff. it'll help you pick a driver and design the box for it. Not to mention you can come back here and pass on the know-how for the next 'generation' of DIYers.

Then again some people just don't give a crap and want step by step directions without bothering to understand anything - which is okay too, plenty of 'recipes' out there for a good driver/box combo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts